Burning mp3s to a DVD...anyone have luck with it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burning mp3s to a DVD...anyone have luck with playback?

I have a 2008 Hybrid with Nav but cannot get a burned mp3 DVD to work.

I tried to burn about 7 gigs worth of mp3s to a dual layer DVD but my player will not read it.

It will read mp3 CDs though.

Has anyone had any luck burning mp3s to a DVD for playback? How did you burn it?

I tried using Nero - mp3 DVD and that did not work. I also tried data DVD and put them on there and that did not work either....

Last edited:

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here. tried it with my Denali. no go. I just got the 2009 Nav Disc that installed new software. I will try another dvd-r when I get time. I hope it works.

randyp

Reaction score
I also tried it and no go.

I then noticed in the manual it states;
"DVD with MP3 are not playable on this system"

pg 72, Navigation Manual (2007)

I have a 2008 Yukon XL Denali.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way I've ever been able to do it without the DVD player supporting it is to make a DVD with a 1pixel black image and the audio tracks...kind of a pain. Much easier to use the front input.

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading some posts on an Escalade forum and some guys were trying it out, but it's just not possible to burn MP3s to a DVD disc and have it work just like that.

The only way I've ever been able to do it without the DVD player supporting it is to make a DVD with a 1pixel black image and the audio tracks...kind of a pain. Much easier to use the front input.

I found this on another forum and it worked for me:

Originally posted by rainby
havenot seen any posts on this, hopefully it will help.

If you, like me, have lots of your favorite mp3 collection and wanna enjoy it in your odyssey, that could be a headache as neither 6-Disc changer nor RES DVD will play your mp3 directly.
However with the help of a software called audio dvd creator
http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/ you may work this out by converting your mp3 or other music files into audio track in an DVD.

My take of this software is that it generate a 4.7G audio content in a DVD so that you could put 4.7G/5M=940 songs (roughly calculation based on 5M/mp3 song) in one signle DVD.

Here is what i did:

1) I use this software to convert mp3 files into audio track (2 channles 192bs, you may choose higher rates for better quality) and generate a dvd file first in my harddrive, then burn it into a DVD

2)i organize the mp3 collection in this way: each album is a charpter (you will see all your album name by using DVD menu if you watch them from DVD) , and one song in the album represents one title in the charpter (you will see them by using the title menu).

3) DVD works in my 2006 EXL-RES.i was uising ProDisc 8X DVD-R Blank Media 4.7GB White Inkjet Hub Printable

3)i feel most important, the audio control (button 5 /6) could control which charpter/album you wanna play, and the channel control on your wheel could control which title/song you wanna play.

Here is the disadvantages i experienced:

it take about 6 hours to finish the "conversion" (4.3G mp3), you probably want to run the "conversion" overnight. i can live up with this long for what i will get.

nothing worse than that so far.

And after I know it works , i am so so so happy with my exl-res. I hope you would enjoy this little tools too.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the new 2009 Nav disc, I noticed a much faster scan time for the mp3 folders on a CD-R.

Last edited:

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So you made a video disc, showing only a black pixel and then had the audio tracks as chapters? Is that right?

Do the Nav display will not show the name of song or anything like that?

Or does it read the tracks fine as long as you burn an image on the disc?

Please clarify.

Thanks

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a burned DVD with the ISO format and another one using the ISO/UDF file format and both gave errors. I'll try on more with the UDF format only to see is it works. It's just crazy that it reads music CDs, CD-roms, & DVD movies disc by not DVD-roms. What are they thinking?

and FYI http://tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=12605

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a burned DVD with the ISO format and another one using the ISO/UDF file format and both gave errors. I'll try on more with the UDF format only to see is it works. It's just crazy that it reads music CDs, CD-roms, & DVD movies disc by not DVD-roms. What are they thinking?

and FYI http://tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=12605

Any luck?

I own a 2008 Tahoe and really want the 2009 upgrade now...since it reads mp3 CDs faster. Do I have to pay for it? Anyone think it will cause issues with the lockpick?

robmck

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid, and have used Stargazers work-around to play MP3s on the DVD player.

It does work!

You have to remember that each audio track is like a chapter on a DVD. So when you turn off the ignition, and re-start it will go back to the beginning of the track last played.

So if you're off doing errands and short journeys .. you could hear the same track over and over and over!!!!

BTW .. I can get about a dozen CDs worth of music on a regular DVD.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any luck?

I own a 2008 Tahoe and really want the 2009 upgrade now...since it reads mp3 CDs faster. Do I have to pay for it? Anyone think it will cause issues with the lockpick?

na..no luck at all.