Small Lift Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CASTORA

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 1995 2 door tahoe a few weeks ago and I'm interested in putting a small amount of lift on it in order to clear 33" mud terrains. I'd like to stay away from a body lift for now but I'm on a budget. I'd like to get 3" of lift in the front and 1 or 2" inches in the back. Could I accomplish this by installing a 2" block in the rear, with a 1" torsion twist in the front and a coil spacer? is this a bad idea? thanks.

bobcatgt

Reaction score
yes

only the two wheel drives have coils . u cant have coil springs and torsion bars...........so u would need to go w the torsion bar keys and blocks.......whick i dont think is a very good idea because of the alignment issues, wearing of ball joints, and riding like crap.......save ur money and buy a 3 '' suspension. it will at least come with the longer upper controll arms to correct the alignment, and also a diff drop bracket to correct the cv angle, and yeah they are gonna want u to crank or install new keys or torsion bars so its still gonna ride very firm............most people go 3'' and then decide to go 6'' so take ur time and seriously think about how high u wanna go, what tire size and how good u of a ride u qant to get out of ur vehicle.....ya might just go ahead and get the six .........

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most people go 3'' and then decide to go 6'' so take ur time and seriously think about how high u wanna go, what tire size and how good u of a ride u qant to get out of ur vehicle.....ya might just go ahead and get the six .........

:iagree:

Suspension lift is the best way...if you are going to spend the money on a three inch, trust me and go six. I was in the same boat. Before you know it you will want a 6" lift. Save up and do it right the first time.

cdj588

Reaction score
doyou think the torscion lift would be ok if the upper ball joint have already tore and the hydralic fluid has already leaked?

cdj588

Reaction score
my buddy who graduated from uti, and works for bmw, said it dolesnt matter unless i care that much about a little play in the sterring wheel. he said it wont hurt anything.

not trying to say it shouldnt be fixed but he said its expensive and doesnt really matter.

what could happen if i dont get it fixed?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah.... ball joints don't matter? wow... good luck with that one...

go with the suspension lift and fix those ball joints as everyone else has stated.

CASTORA

Reaction score
thanks for the help.

actually, out of curiosity, if i was to install the 6" kit, probably the rough country, would I need longer drive shafts?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front, no since auto trac wasn't an option on the 95's. you don't have to legthen the rear but its better on the slip yoke if you do. i had my rear legthened an inch and it ran me about $200 and came with new U joints.

newmarketEOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to have the passenger side of your exhaust redone just behind the manifold. The drive shaft when lowered to meet the front axle after lifted will have to go pretty much straight through your exhaust.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to have the passenger side of your exhaust redone just behind the manifold. The drive shaft when lowered to meet the front axle after lifted will have to go pretty much straight through your exhaust.

driveshaft is under the DRIVER side. :)