Why did everyone get rid of the OEM Nav?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M6hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at different headunits to install in my 2008 tahoe with bose speakers. i dont have the oem navigation. i recently purchased and installed the pioneer avic f900. i'm really not liking the unit. i've read many mixed reviews on the unit. the steering wheel controls no longer work. the navigation is just alright. big whoop, i can see buildings in the 3d mode (too busy driving to worry about that junk). and then the volume knob makes me feel like im playing the old skool board game 'operation'. i dont know maybe my fingers are too big.
so any feedback will help. i will be eventually adding some after market sub at one point. am i better off with the oem nav or do i go to the pioneer z3?

thank you all

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM. I have no complaints with the unit. Some of the directions can be a little nutty, but that is a software issue. I think all GPS units have software issues.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with the OEM nav. The directions can be a little 'off' at times like saying I should turn into a rock face or where there is no road.

With a proper interface wiring harness you should still have your steering wheel controls though.

M6hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am i able to run a subwoofer along with the OEM nav unit? i will be running a Kicker L7 on its own amp.

Sinjin

Reaction score
Since you don't have a factory NAV unit, I'd go with the Z3 or the Kenwood DNX8120. I like the maps on the Z3 better, The DNX8120 uses Garmin maps. You can hook either of these up to use the steering wheel controls. For mine I chose the DNX8120 since it has RDS and the Z3 doesn't. You can also make either of these do what the factory unit can and more.

Sinjin

Reaction score
RDS

Stands for Radio Data System. This is what radio broadcasters use to send other information to your radio. Such as station name, song title, time, or any other information. It's like when XM gives you the name of the song and artist. :thumbsup:

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stands for Radio Data System. This is what radio broadcasters use to send other information to your radio. Such as station name, song title, time, or any other information. It's like when XM gives you the name of the song and artist. :thumbsup:

i was thinking about getting a factory nav just cause you can get them at a pretty good price, but does it have the RDS? jw cause thats kind of a cool feature :shy2:

Sinjin

Reaction score
yep... the factory nav unit has RDS. If you go that route be sure to have the dealer install it for you. It's not that it's dificult to install. It's that the dealer has to do some kind of programing thing to make the NAV work with your vehicle. Not sure what, I read it on one of the other posts on this forum. good luck.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep... the factory nav unit has RDS. If you go that route be sure to have the dealer install it for you. It's not that it's dificult to install. It's that the dealer has to do some kind of programing thing to make the NAV work with your vehicle. Not sure what, I read it on one of the other posts on this forum. good luck.

yeah they have to do some weird programming that i cant do but i think im going to install it just i like to do that kind of stuff then take it to them and program it... save on some install charges!:yaya:

i have the Z71 lt3 package so im pretty sure its just plug and play plus the programming, should be fun install!