Burning Smell On Hills in 01 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snap50

Reaction score
My 2001 Tahoe smells like burning brush lately when I push it hard up hills. It seems like it's near the headpipes or tranny area. I checked for the obvious and there are no mouse or squirrel nests on the engine or pipes, and it's only when pushed hard anyways.

The tranny fluid was down a quart and smells slightly smoked, but it's color is bright red and not at all muddled.

Functionally the drive train seems fine and there are no leaks along the entire length.

On a side note there seems to generally be (all the time lately) a chemical odor from the mid to rear underneath, but also strongly inside the cabin. It seemed similar but not exactly like brake fluid. In that light I checked all the brake calipers and found no leaks.

My air conditioner compressor bearings failed so it's power plug is currently disconnected to prevent it from running. I doubt that the system charge as leaked out, but if so I see no signs of that.

I'm not sure if any of these 3 are related or not, but input would certainly be appreciated.

I should add that the vehicle has 43,000 miles and has only pulled a motorcycle trailer (800 pounds max) about 6 times, otherwise it's been normal family use and loaded up once a year for vacation.

Any ideas?