Steering pop on '04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoliO

Reaction score
I just bought an '04 Tahoe LT with 44K miles. Dealer threw in an extended 100K GMPP warranty so I am covered if something is wrong. Anyhow, when driving I can hear something in the steering poping. Not very loud but you can feel it. When I am turning the pop is a little more apparent. Is this normal?

dano

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you're experiencing the same issue I had with my 2wd 05'.

If so, and I would go ahead and check this anyway. But, there is an apparently common issue with the bolts securing the front cross member, backing out a little.

The noise I was hearing was the crossmember ever so slightly moving, causing what sounded more like a "snap", or even a creek from the ball joints.

I say this is a common problem only because when I described what I was talking about to a local service writer at the GMC dealer I bought mine from, he was quick to suggest this very issue.

Sure enough, the bolts were just a little loose (meaning the really needed to be further tightened... they were already "snug"). Since they were tightened, no noises!

I would suggest, if you have the means, put the front end up on a floor jack and check the bolts. Actually, I would prefer you put the vehicle on jack stands, rather than getting under it while its just on a floor jack. Don't forget to check the vehicle before getting under it! Make DARN sure it's secure!!!

RoliO

Reaction score
The problem was the steering shaft. It needed to be replaced. I did some research on the issue last night and saw where there was a TSB on the issue. My Tahoe was 8K miles out of warranty but I took it in anyway. Luckily I knew the service manager and he took care of it under warranty. :D Steering shaft was replaced.

sparksguru

Reaction score
My '05 is doing the same exact thing that you explained before you got yours fixed. It only does it when I'm turning. Is that what yours did? Also, mine is out of warranty. Any idea what it would have cost you?

RoliO

Reaction score
My '05 is doing the same exact thing that you explained before you got yours fixed. It only does it when I'm turning. Is that what yours did? Also, mine is out of warranty. Any idea what it would have cost you?

It is more noticeable when you are going slow and turning in a parking lot. I believe the shaft was likr $95 and the dealer wanted $100 to install it. Talk to your service manager. He/She can warranty anything if he/she wants to. :)

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering Pop Recall

You have probably taken care of this by now, but the intermediate steering shaft recall by GM should cover all instances under warranty. I just bought a 2002 Yukon with 86000 miles and the local GM dealer replaced the shaft at no charge with no hassles. Mine was really annoying - any time I was driving at slow speeds or turning it 'bumped' - now it is as good as new!