Flip Down Monitor replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSU Jeep

Reaction score
Is there any way to replave the stock flip down monitor with a larger one and continue to use the remote headphones etc?

I just got a bone stock '07 tahoe LT3 with the entertainment system (bose) but not the nav system. Right now my priority is to get wheels and tires but I am going to work on the audio/video system next. I am looking into adding a little more base but I am also curious if I could add a larger screen for backseat movie viewing.

rodrign

Reaction score
I'm also curiouse. I have the same set up as FSU JEEP. I just purchased a 20" flipdown to replace the 8". I've gone to "craigslist" under services and typed in audio/video installation. A view installers I spoke with says this can be done however something about the RCA Jacks from the after market will not jive with the factory there for some type of converter would need to be installed...Is this a bunch of bull? Can we do this ourselves?? By the way he wanted to charge me $100 to replace 8" to 20".

Nfamous60

Reaction score
i doubt you would be able to do that ain't the signal for the headphone directly from the flip down moniter itself?

besides that why change out the oem i just ordered another one to mount in between my 2nd row seats for the people n the 3rd row to see.. to me makes it look like it came like that.... more plush to ma i don't know.. more power to you if finding that out..

jonnyenglish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wireless headphones are frequency matched to the DVD player so you'll lose that option, however you can buy headphones from the new DVD manufacturer. I dont see why you can't replace the older 8" with a larger one, I'm looking to do the same with the 10.2 Alpine drop down and I've used this unit before in my last Denali and its a smoking unit. It uses an FM modulator so you can choose one of the best unused FM signals in your area and this will enable the DVD sound to play through the vehicle speakers. Then obviously the infra red headphones which will allow you to listen to the radio at the same time as the kiddos are watching the DVD in the back seats.
FYI. I dont have NAV or Rear entertainment...
Jonathan

rodrign

Reaction score
I've had the 20" installed now for the past 2 months. Works great! Unfortunatley I am unable to use my factory DVD player, however I now use my ipod for movies. It worked out fine. No more DVD disks everywhere!

jonnyenglish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the 20" installed now for the past 2 months. Works great! Unfortunatley I am unable to use my factory DVD player, however I now use my ipod for movies. It worked out fine. No more DVD disks everywhere!

I see what you are doing. You are using just a monitor I was thinking it was a monitor/DVD unit in one. :confused:
Jonathan

msullivan

Reaction score
You can actually use your factory headphones with any monitor as long as it is infared. I have a 10" after market in my Tahoe and I have used the factory headphones from my mother in laws Denali and they work just fine, so they are not frequency matched.

rodrign

Reaction score
Unfortunatley I lost my IR when they removed the whole ceiling counsole where the factory 8" was. I had to buy new universal wireless headphones. Also my installer was able to tap into the rear of the middle counsoles RCA's for audio out of my trucks speakers. Popcorn anyone???