NAV / DVD PLayer FIX/TRICK?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captjreed

Reaction score
How do I trick the DVD player up front (nav) to work going down the road in "d"?

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlocking DVD

I bought the Lockpick unit from the web site mentioned above. I finally got it installed. There doesn't seem to be a lot of support from the vendor - either via e-mail or the phone. The video on their web site shows that you only need to remove (and replace) one connector from the back of the radio. I guess if you want to use only the feature that allows you to view DVDs from the front nav screen that is correct. However, if you want to "unlock" the nav system so you can pick an address from the Address Book (as well as perform other functions that are blocked when moving) you need to remove and replace two connectors from the back of the radio - one is black, the other brown. The written directions are not real clear on this. Also, in their installation video they show "mounting" the Lockpick box in a cutout behind the radio. Due to the number of cables that go to the radio, HVAC controls and the lighter plugs I was unable to mount it there. This is not to say that it can't be made to fit if you want to spend enough time doing it. I mounted mine above the radio under the dash vents. There is a piece of plastic that hangs down that you need to get the unit behind but it fits well there. The hardest part of the entire installation other than determining that I needed to use both sets of cables rather than just the one shown in their video was getting the trim plate off from around the radio. There are nine spring clips that you need to deal with without bending the trim. Once installed it works as advertised and I now have a switched 12volt source to run my radar detector from! Did I mention that I received a bag of Jelly Bellys with the Lockpick!

Captjreed

Reaction score
I was wondering how th other cables hooked up. WHere did yu place the outlet for the radar detector? Did some tender loving care halp get the trim off with multiple screwdrivers or was n more "force 'till pop"required al the way around> Thanks,

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lockpick and Radar Detector

The Valentine V1 radar detector uses a phone cable as the power cable. I mounted the detector to the right of the driver's sun visor. I ran a phone cable behind the plastic trim that goes around the inside of the windshield to the fuse block on the left side of the dashboard. I put the V1 connecting block in there and ran the wire for the 12v + to the switched 12v wire that is furnished with the Lockpick. I grounded the other wire to a screw in the fuse block area. I have both the detector and the remote unit which I mounted on top of the dteering column. The remote uses a second phone cable that plugs into the V1 connecting block also.

As far as getting the trim plate off from around the radio, I used two screw drivers and a lot of pressure. I could not get the spring clips to spring so I had to force them. You just need to be careful you don't bend the trim plate. I posted another entry on the forum telling how I mounted the V1.

The Lockpick comes yith two sets of T-cables, each comprised of two connectors. There is also a yellow RCA video jack that can be used to hook up a backup camera if you don't already have one (I do so I didn't use that cable). There is a smaller cable that plugs into the Lockpick box and then three wires, one each for 12v constant power, 12v switched power and a ground wire. One set of T-cables is used to allow you to view a DVD from the front nav screen as well as from the rear DVD player. The second cable performs the unlock features with the nav system and the XM radio category search function. The installation video on the vendor website didn't show the second set of cables so I didn't hook them up initially. The DVD part worked but none of the unlock features worked. I tried to contact the vendor but got no response. When I pulled out the radio to make sure I had hooked it up correctly I noticed that the second t-cables were brown and there was a brown cable going into the back of the radio. I removed it and the plug fit into one of the remaining Lockpick connectors so I plugged it in and then plugged the other Lockpick connector into where the original cable was in the back of the radio. It all works fine.

I bought the Lockpick primarily for the ability to be able to select an address from the address book while the truck is in motion. IMHO watching a DVD while driving or entering an address into the nav system from scratch while driving is asking for a disaster. I wasn't aware at the time I purchased the Lockpick that it gave you a switched 12v power source. I might have bought it just for that as I have not been able to find anywhere in the Tahoe where I could get switched 12 volts.

Andy4639

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you waited for the time delay effect to turn off the accessary in the Tahoe. They have a preset time of 20 minutes before they cut off after key is cut off.