To drop or not to drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright looks unanimous for the most part… Might be because of the section I posted under ;)
Anyway I have a one track mind when it comes to the Yuke and I think I’m going to do it.
Searching 2/3 kits quickly got confusing this morning though. Please don’t take offence anyone. I have never even considered lowering a truck until now, it was always kind of a Mexican thing where I’m from…… But after seeing a few of your trucks that are just lowered, I’m kind of digging the look.
What I found ranged from $250 to $550.00 I suppose this is like anything else, you get what you pay for. I have 80k on the odometer and she still rides great. I think with the shock relocating brackets I might be ok…. Or are the aftermarkets far superior?
Also about the keys for the front, I read somewhere you need a big press or something? I presume most of the weight of the front end is supported on those 2 bars? Is this just a take the weight of the front end and remove kind of thing? Would drop spindles be a better way? Thanks for the feedback everyone.
These are a few of the kits I was looking at, any thoughts on what is the better way to go?
http://lakeelsinore.olx.com/ground-force-2-3-drop-kit-tahoe-yukon-00-06-new-price-400-iid-2413451
https://www.truckshop.com/product.php?productid=20337&cat=2217&page=1&js=n
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-06-2WD-4WD-TAHOE-YUKON-2-3%22-LOWERING-DROP-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ310108834382QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081214?IMSfp=TL0812141110007r32029
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/BEL134.htm
http://lakeelsinore.olx.com/ground-force-2-3-drop-kit-tahoe-yukon-00-06-new-price-400-iid-2413451

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The best way to lower the front, in order to keep the suspension geometry and ride quality the same, would be spindles. Using spindles will keep the amount of suspension travel the same between the control arm and bumpstops and keep everything aligned just as it was before lowering. Using keys will decrease suspension travel, then you'll have to have the truck realigned. Normally keys are good for a 1-2" drop, but more than that will start to limit your suspension travel and you'll bottom out on the bumpstops more often.
The rears just use coil springs, but going any lower than 3" will start to limit travel between the axle and frame mounted bumpstops to the point where it may become bouncy. You can make more room for the axle to move up and down by removing the bumpstop bracket and remounting the bumpstop w/o the bracket. As for the shocks, you can use new shorter shocks, or use relocation brackets to retain your factory shocks.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I read was the subject... Drop it! Drop it as low as you can get it.

mary900

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of dropped trucks. I want to drop my Tahoe but consider me once bitten, twice shy.
I dropped my Sierra truck (dropped rear 4" w/shackles and dropped front 3" w/springs) the ride turned to $hit.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spindles are the way to go if you want 2", it will ride the same as it does now. Mine rides ok for the front being 2" with keys but it has gone downhill from when I initially lowered it. As long as the components are good and you use new shocks it should ride nicely even with keys/springs.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Set'er down buddy........ Just like most things you get what you pay for. If you are going to drop your truck spend the loot on a great kit. I did the McGaughy's 3/5 with spindles and keys in the front and springs, shocks, and control arm relocator in the back and I don't mind the ride at all. I do need to get some bigger sway bars and roll the fenders for it to be absolutely sweet but it's pretty damn good. You can't expect a cushy floaty ride if you want to roll low..........

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotchkis, belltech, hellwig, most of the brands are similar I'd look at the quality of end links and bar diameter but I'm just getting some hellwigs cuz they're cheap as hell through my work.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boost...

I forgot to ask, what is a good diameter? Actually what is the stock diameter, in general, compared to the upgrade? All I am seeing in inch and three quarters and while I don't know what the stock sways are it doesn't seem like they are smaller than that. I was expecting 2''-2.5'' ........

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some hellwigs off summit racing, they're cheaper and seem to be the largest diameter (1 5/16 front 1 1/4 rear).

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only one dilemma….

If I do the drop with the front spindles, does this require an alignment?

Thing is, I run the stock wheels in the winter (that are < 17 inch) So, along with swapping out the wheels and tires in the spring and fall I would also have to remove and reinstall the drop kit twice a year. The labor on my part I’m not concerned with. But I’m not sure I want to drop a couple hundred each year to keep things lined up.

Last edited:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes anytime you alter the steering you have to re-align the truck. Even if the wheel looks straight the caster split will be way off as well as the camber, toe, etc. Most places should charger $50-$80 for alignment, I'm doing spindles and just decranking the drop keys every spring and pegging them back up for the winter. I'm gonna run seasonal tires now too, these pro comps just don't cut it for hitting corners once I get the sways.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to run the stock wheels in the winter? Only reason I ask is because I read somewhere that if you are using the drop spindles that you have to run ‘at least’ a 17 inch or lager wheel. I think my stockers are only 16 inch......