Hi everyone!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roody

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I'm 16 and will be inheriting my mom's Black 2004 Tahoe Z71 in the fall (she will be getting something like the GMC Acadia). It has 75,000 miles on it and runs strong. I'm really excited about this truck because of its capabilities, appearance, aftermarket, and all around feel. It's a great truck and I can't wait until it's mine.

And I just wanted to say that this site is awesome (and thanks to TAHOE LT for telling me about it)!

TAHOE90712

Reaction score
That's just wrong, wrong I tell you.

Man, what is the world coming to? I am 47 and I just got my 2001 Tahoe last year. And I would have done that if my mini van hadn't blown up on vacation. And a wet behind the ears 16 year old that will probably wreck the car in the 1st year of driving is going to "inherit" mom's 2004. That's just wrong, wrong I tell you.:nonod: Congratulations.:nono:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Man, what is the world coming to? I am 47 and I just got my 2001 Tahoe last year. And I would have done that if my mini van hadn't blown up on vacation. And a wet behind the ears 16 year old that will probably wreck the car in the 1st year of driving is going to "inherit" mom's 2004. That's just wrong, wrong I tell you.:nonod: Congratulations.:nono:

Know what you mean. Where I work, I have high school kids come into my shop with new BMWs, MBs, Caddys, and even C6 vettes wanting all kinds of things done to their cars. All courtesy of mom and dad. Must be nice.

Roody- Congrats on your new Tahoe. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Black Z71s are very nice. Welcome to the forums and enjoy your new ride!

Roody

Reaction score
Hey, not to yell or anything, but what was posted 2 posts above was somewhat of a false-accusition. I'm NOT a stuck-up rich kid. My parents simply want what is safe and functional for me...and this includes giving me one of their vehicles.

I'm NOT a kid who drives fast in order to show off or look cool. I'm NOT a kid who blasts rap music...I don't even drive with the radio on!

You're stereotyping teenagers. Sure, there are a lot who are ungrateful and in a sense worthless, but I'm not one of these kids. I'm EXTREMELY grateful for my parents' generosity and the fact that they're giving me a great truck at the age of 16.

But why'd you buy a minivan in the first place? :rofl:

No hard feelings, OK?

TAHOE90712

Reaction score
Roody, Don't be offended

Roody... Don't take this as a personal attack, because it isn't one. The reality is that there is a higher than average chance that you will have an accident with your newfound treasure for a number of reasons. First of all, you are a 16 year old male. I was once (long, long, long ago) a 16 year old male and fairly responsible, drug and alcohol free one. It is only by the grace of God that I was never in a life threatening metal mangling accident. My daughter (who paid for half of her $2500 truck) is also a very good, responsble kid who rear ended a car and knocked it into a city bus. When you are 47, you too will realize that all 16 year olds are wet behind the ears. That doesn't mean you are bad, spoiled or un-appreciative. Just inexperienced which is consistent with your lack of experience. Another reality that you will learn as you grow older is that we never really appreciate anything as much if it is given to us as we would if earn it. You probably will appreciate it a lot, but earning it brings another dimension. I do think that you are a bit spoiled getting a car from mom and dad that I can't afford, and that was the basis for my original comments. The fact is that reality bites. Based on your age, and assuming that you have siblings, I would also assume that your parents are very likely part of the "minivan generation". Our parents had big boats or station wagons, and we had minivans. Now as we are getting older we can finally afford the SUV's. Even if they are 6 years old.
I am very happy for you for your latest acquisition, but I still think its wrong, just wrong. No hard feelings at all!!!

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto Accidents Know No Age Boundries ( I Was 22 When I Rolled My 00 Silverado) I Live In The Houston Area And Its Not Necessarily The Teenagers You Have To Watch Out For, Its Everybody! When I Was 16 I "inherited" A 91 'yota Corolla. It Took Me Til I Was 25 To Get The 03 Hoe I Have Now, And I Agree You Appreciate It A Lot More When You Buy It Yourself. Having 2 Chillins Is The Reason I Joined The Gas Guzzler Group. All I Can Say Is Take Care Of Your Hoe, Cuz If You Dont Shes Gonna Bitch Slap You!

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh And Safe And Functional? You Can Get That With Out The $25000
Suv. In Fact You Can Get A Whole Lot Safer And Spend Less Money. So Yea In My Opinion Your Getting Spoiled, But Hey I Cant Say That I Would Have Turned It Down At 16 Either

Roody

Reaction score
No hard feelings.

I admit that I'm a little spoiled for being given a 2004 Tahoe at 16, but I don't act like it.

The Tahoe will (assuming the engine doesn't die), last me until I'm out of college. That's 6 more years. It'll probably have ~150,000-200,000 miles by then. With the way I take care of it, 200,000 miles won't be a problem.