Confused/Torn about 6" lift kit brands/optoins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOFORDS

Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm beating a dead horse here and I have been reading numerous threads about lift kits and have seen many photos.

Seems that a good portion of members have pro-comp kits.

On 4wheelonline, there are four brands, (RCD; Fabtec; Skyjacker, ProComp) and are all comparable in price, and I would assume quality.

What I need to get thru my head is what I need to get for my needs. I have 98 saggy butt Yukon that sees mostly highway. My reason for the lift is for the deep snow we get in winters (i live in the country) and the occasional hunting bound thru the fields.

I noticed that most kits require the new shaft for auto-trac but RCD says no. Why? Skyjacker and Fabtech use long arms (unless i read it wrong), are these necessary? ProComp is cheapest and yields similar results however it retains the front track to use factory rim offsets (this doesn't matter as I plan on getting new rms/tires anywho) and includes the new cv shaft and shocks. Either one i choose, is going to have the dual front shocks for looks (yeah I know:nonod:).

Which one is the way to go? Is changing the track width good/bad (I've heard both)?

I've been bouncing back and forth...

thanks! :yaya:

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would either go with procomp or the dick cepek both of them are full drops and have heard good things about the new procomp lift and the DC.

NOFORDS

Reaction score
Yeah i was actually just looking at the dick cepek lift and it actually has the same features as the skyjacker and a decent price too!

Forgot to add that my truck does alot of heavy towing too (6-7000lbs) so i don't know if there is any feed back about that.

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the DC kit and it is great, procomp is also a very nice kit. Since you tow alot make sure you opt to swap the springs and don't use blocks.

So procomp and DC should be your best bets, both have very high praise everywhere. See my pictures and look for 96procomp. The pictures I have posted are before I swaped theblocks for springs in the back and I picked up another 1.5" out back

Last edited:

96fleetwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe has the Pro Comp 6 inch kit. Seems very well put together and doesn't ride half bad with the right tires.

IMG_0277.jpg

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my Procomp kit. I've never had any problems with it. once the house is remodeled for the most part i'm swapping the blocks out for springs (hopefully adding a couple more inches and some new keys in the front) :)

i've heard good things about the cepek kit as well.

NOFORDS

Reaction score
I have the DC kit and it is great, procomp is also a very nice kit. Since you tow alot make sure you opt to swap the prings and don't use blocks.

So procomp and DC should be your best bets, both have very high praise everywhere. See my pictures and look for 96procomp. The pictures I have posted are before I swaped theblocks for springs in the back and I picked up another 1.5" out back

On the extreme suspensions website, it doesn't give me the option to get springs like some of their other GM models do. Is there another model that will work on the yukon and the 6.5" lift?

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the DC / Extreme kit, than get Procomp or skyjack 6" springs. I ordered the Procomps, little lower cost but also a stifer ride than the skyjackers or so I am told. With the new springs in back I picked up 1.5" over the 5" block.