Upgrade subwoofer, what kind has the best quality?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys. I have 2 12s in my huge 1990s ported box. the speakers are older than dirt, but they still sound ok. problem is its too huge.
I want to go from 2x12s to just a single 10" if possible, then a sneaky install somehow. I just want it to sounds the same as it does now. ( which is brutal)

I would like to keep my existing amp and use it again if possible to run the sub. the amp is a rockford fosgate punch 450.2
Someone at work with a "system" in his car said memphis m3 10" for the music I like. ( which is mostly progressive swedish death metal.. but hey, what swedish metal isn't good?) its fast crispy double bass drums, lots of compression, etc. boomy sub no-worky with my music taste.

do any of you guys know about this Memphis stuff? see I cant buy it online from their website. I want to make somthing small that fits under the seat somehow or is just a small cube in the back. I can move it/disconnect it if I need to get a sheet of plywood or something in the back etc.
thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Pete

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could try out a power seriies from jbl i have two and they sound greatjbl p1024

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he has tried to build anything for a 2 door. He is a friend of mine who used to run a shop here locally. I will see him in the next few days and ask him if he tried anything for the 2 door. This box was designed for his. He is putting one together for my for 2 kicker cvt 8's. The only draw back to this box is the seats wont fold flat any more.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i could sit back there and kick your door panal everytime I feel like it. That might give you some bass. But its your call:lol:

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you have heard these or not but they sound as good as 90% of the 10's I've listened to. Plus this is going to be my wifes ride during the week and my toy hauler on the weekends. One of my toys is a SQ vehicle that I take to a few shows a year. I got out of the db wars about 6 years ago after we set a world record. It simply got to technical and expensive to compete when you are doing everything on your own with your own money.....

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my book you can't beat jl audio.they hit hard.as i said in post before my brother and i competed in db drags for awhile and were hitting like 142 with 2 8inch subs and 1000 watt amp

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
JL Audio, Diamond, Kicker, Memphis, Boston, Alpine; these are just a few good quality subs you can look into. If you want to use the least amount of space as possible, Pioneer's shallow series subs have a mounting depth of only about 2.5".

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the box under the seat idea. I wonder if that would fit in the 99 yukon it has the heated seats option.. wont the sub be muffled by the seat? I mean, I know bass is unidirectional and is just the air moving around, but if the seat is sitting on it, how would the speaker move around?
I wish I had the stones to cut a hole in the bed like you did, JK.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i see that it fires downward. I didnt understand that first time around.
I think I can make this box myself, so Ill shop crutchfield or something for a shallow sub like you said. Can I get just one mean 10" and bridge the amp to one channel?

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen this box in person. There are only about 3 different 10's that will fit. The sony's, pioneers, and the memphis slim 10. Out of the three the best is the memphis but they are quite pricey (almost $200 each) The box is very shallow, 3 inches total depth. The bottom (part facing up is 1/2 mdf to give it enough room to mount anything. The 8's I am going to use only fit if you cut out the entire back for the magnet and use the plate that come with the cvt's. The specs on the box are very precise and even an 1/8 of an inch off you won't be able to get the seat to lock down. As far as the JL's go we have searched and the only JL shallow enough to fit is the 6.5 so it is not a good option at all. Using one or even 2 subs and bridging the amp is always the best way to get the most power out of an amp. Just be sure you get the right subs to get you your proper impedance on the amp. And remember if it says 2 ohm stable that usually means 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono. Get a decent class d amp and you should be set, they are usually 2 ohm mono stable and offer tons of power for a low cost just be sure to get a really good ground and route your rcas well away from the power wires as class d's are known to cause interferance.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those babies would hit hard tahoebrotha.i got a set of those too!