$1500 for mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadb

Reaction score
I just bought a 1996 Tahoe 4x4 from the company that I work for, for $1000. Its in good condition for the most part, it needs a few things cosmetic on the interior. I am thinking about putting $1500 to $2000 in mods to make it a little better off road. I was thinking about a body lift, beefy tires and rims, step bars, brush guard, and maybe more. I would like to see some pictures of Tahoe's with these mods to give me some ideas of what to do and what it'll look like. Also what brands and what other mods should I plan to do.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup: ,
Chad

Murph11

Reaction score
Body lifts are lame. Everything else sounds good though.

chadb

Reaction score
what would I need to do, if anything to fit 33's, that would be in my budget. this isn't a daily driver, but I'm sure I'll be making a few trips to walmart.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of getting a body lift, you can get fender flares, or fiberglass fenders on the front, these will also protect the body of the truck from getting scratched by anything throne up by the tires. Also getting stepbars decreases your ground clearance. Also as far as a body lift is concerned, it can affect your engine, because you raise the body up the grill will be slightly above the engine/radiator, most kits do not come with something to raise the radiator/engine so without that the engine will overheat easier. Good luck.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33s will fit stock height so long as your tires are not over 12.5 inches wide and your rims are not over 8" wide. i suggest 305/65/17 or 315/70/17 also known as 33x12.50/17 and 35x12.50/17, respectively.

and yes, body lifts are gay. use new torsion keys and raised leaf spring mounts if u only want a couple inches to fit 35s with no rubbing. or if u are cheap and dont mind a rough ride crank the torsion bars and u can fit 35s with very slight rubbage. the width makes u rub worse than the height...

chadb

Reaction score
S5001478.jpg

malibuster

Reaction score
Here's what I would do. Leave the height, wheels and tires alone. Get the rust on the rocker panels fixed and put those tube running boards on. Then give the rest to me, lol j/k. I kind of like that style with the billet grille.

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
i got 2inch blocks in the rear and cranked up the bars up front, my lift costed me 30 bucks! so now that u saved there u can get rims and tires, i run 305/70R16's there about 33's, but there really wide, but still stay under the fenders

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the Tahoe! $1000? Sounds like you stole it, lol.

I agree with mailbuster. Spend the money on fixing that rust problem while it is not too bad. First fix what's wrong. Then you can concentrate on the other stuff. How many miles are on it?

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good, rust is cool. i think my rusty rocker panels are sexy. now if something important is rusty, u may wanna fix it. but cosmetic stuff, phuck dat sheet i usually beat it up and rip it to pieces off road any way.

chadb

Reaction score
Rust adds character, actually most of what you can see is good ol' mississippi red clay!!! Gonna do a lil sanding and touching up when I get a chance. She has just over 200k on her.

Last edited:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust adds character, actually most of what you can see is good ol' mississippi red clay!!! Gonna do a lil sanding and touching up when I get a chance. She has just over 200k on her.

I should have considered that not all that was rust, lol. When I was in high school, I helped a friend unpack after he moved back from living in St George, Utah. I thought his dirt bike had rusted badly until he showed me it was red dirt. I had never seen that before, and it wasn't until later in life that I drove through that part of the country and saw it for myself.

I'm Glad to hear that that's not all rust on your new Tahoe.:D

chadb

Reaction score
yeah they are 285x75x16, they are all the truck can handle!

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DONT DO A BODY LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did one on my 92 blazer and it was the worst thing i had ever done.

the body mounts started to crush right away. after a few months my doors started to have trouble shutting.

I DO NOT RECOMEND IT AT ALL.

I do recomend a brush guard and step bars. I have the Z71 option and mine came with all that from the factory. i think it looks really good but thats just me.

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha sorry man i think it looks to good on my truck to take it off. most of the people with Z71 Tahoe's take them off. i was glad to see mine still had it when i found it for sale.