Chrome door handles on early LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 LTZ that I purchased before the chrome package was available. I want to install chrome door handles on it. Has anyone done this? If so, do you need to remove the inside door panels to swap out the handles? Thanks for any help!

Lil Johnys Chevy

Reaction score
The only way to swap the handles is to remove interior door panels. If you order the handles from the dealer the set of four should come with instructions and pics. As far as tools: panel popper, razor blade, pocket screw driver (flat), flash light and i think it was a 10mm socket and ratchet. I would start on the rear doors. Once you do the first one the rest are cake.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice! The handles should arrive tomorrow. I've never been real lucky when it came to getting inside door panels to fit again once they have been removed. Maybe this time will be different.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the instructions??

The only way to swap the handles is to remove interior door panels. If you order the handles from the dealer the set of four should come with instructions and pics. As far as tools: panel popper, razor blade, pocket screw driver (flat), flash light and i think it was a 10mm socket and ratchet. I would start on the rear doors. Once you do the first one the rest are cake.

If so, can you PM them to me or email me a .pdf version of them to me? Thanks!

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do the install, post pics! If we can build a library of install sessions like Gapp's excellent Eibach springs thread, we'll have some good resources.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I have had the chrome door handles for a couple of weeks now but I haven't had time to install them. I did look at the instructions that came with them (which are really hard to see). Once you get the door panels off the rest looks easy. I also need to get the adhesive that they recommend for re-installing the door handles.

hound_dog

Reaction score
Interested in door handle replacement updates!

Just about to purchase an LS and I really want to change the door handles. I saw the Z71 handles which are color matched on the base with the handle itself being a brushed silver metal. It looks really nice but maybe I'll go with the full chrome handles since they won't require painting. So I'm looking for an update on this thread from some of you guys who have replaced the handles. How did it go? Tricky? Easy? Don't do it because it's a pain?

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the grille on my LTZ last weekend so I decided to finally start on the handles today. Taking the advice I was given in a prior post I started with the rear doors. The directions that come with the handle aren't very good and the pictures are even worse. Following is what I did. Once you do the first door the other is very simple.

1. Remove the door lock knob by pressing with a small screwdriver and lifting it off.

2. Remove the trim plate that contains the power window switch. You can do this by using a small flat blade screwdriver at the very front and at the rear. Pop two snap fittings up. Then remove the switch by pressing down on the part that holds it to the trim panel and pulling it. Only the part with the contacts pulls out. The switch remains attached to the trim panel.

3. Remove the plastic access panel that is located in the armrest. Use a flat blade screwdriver and just pop it out.

4. Remove the plastic access panel that is located inside of the inside door handle trim. Use a flat blade screwdriver and snap it out.

5. Remove two bolts, one that is inside under the panel that you removed in the armrest. The other is accessed through the panel where the inside door handle resides -after removing the plastic access cover.

6. Using a "panel popper" pop all of the plastic panel "screws" that hold the door panel to the door. There are none on top. I recommend that you start down one side and then do the other and the bottom. The door panel will not fall even with all of the panel screws removed.

7. Once all of the pop-out panel screws are loose, lift up the door panel just enough so you can separate the door panel from the rubber weatherstrip on top. DON'T PUSH UP TOO FAR OR YOU WILL BREAK THE PLASTIC GUIDE PINS!!!

8. Once the panel is free, remove the three black "push pins" that hold the door panel to the foam weatherstrip panel. Carefully remove the foam from the door panel. It is stuck in place with some black sticky sealant and a couple of foam plugs.

9. Remove the two screws that hold the indside door handle assemply to the door panel. Once you have done this you can unclip the two plastic clips at the top of the assemly (from the back of the door panel) and free the inner door handle assembly which can then be pushed to the back of the door panel.

10. Remove the two bolts that hold the outside door handle assembly to the door. To get to one of the you will need to remove a black rubber access plug.

11. Get a flashlight and look inside. You will see a plastic clip (mine is orange) that connects the rod attached to the outside door handle to the rod that actually opens the door. You need to disconnect this clip. I did it by just putting my hand inside and prying one side open. The other side doesn't open. Once the clip is free you can remove the outside door handle. NOTE: The rod that is attached to the outside door handle should remain attached to it when you take the handle out. Once it is out of the truck you need to remove it and attach it to the new handle.

12. Installation is pretty much the opposite. Make sure you re-attach the black plastic push pins that hold the foam weatherstripping to the door panel. Also before you push in ANY of the guide pins make sure that the top of the door panel is raised up high enough so the white plastic piece sits in the track in the rubber weatherstripping. Before snapping in the guide pins make sure you have reattached the inside door handle assembly and have attached the plastic clip that holds the rod attached to the door handle to the one that pulls the latch. Also make sure that the wire and connector for the power windows is pulled through the hole in the door panel!! Align the guide pins and the white plastic push pins and snap the door panel in. I had no problem at all doing this. Once the guide pins aligned, everything fit perfectly. Button everything up and you are done.

I may try the front doors tomorrow. I gave up today because the sun was too hot where I was working.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting the chrome handles (part 17801937) on my Tahoe, but I can't tell if they are metal chrome or chrome plastic. Can somebody tell me?

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are chromed plastic but so are the current LTZs