Remote Starter Prep Package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonvt

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make the remote starter functional if you have the prep package?

jasonvt

Reaction score
The Tahoe LS and 1LTs come with the prep package. 2LT and up get remote start. I was wondering if the only thing keeping the remote starter from working is the key fob with the starter button or if there was some kind of module i need to get, etc.

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remote Starter Prep Package

To elaborate, all Tahoes come with the "Remoter Starter Prep Package". Checkout the chevy website and this package is included in all Tahoes.

I think what jasonvt is asking is whether you need some type of module (and of course you need the key fob with the remoter starter button) to have the remoter start function.

I have a LT1 package and I also want the remote starter. I did some research myself as well. What i was told by other guys online (including a dealer who seemed to know what i was talking about. it was a dealer in NJ) is that you just need the key fob with the remote starter button to have this work b/c the package is already included when you purchased tahoes.

Has anyone tried working the remote starter?

thanks.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that there is a complete remote starter kit that includes the remote fob among other things and a trip to the dealer to program it.

Donzi4me

Reaction score
I have a LT1 package and I also want the remote starter. I did some research myself as well. What i was told by other guys online (including a dealer who seemed to know what i was talking about. it was a dealer in NJ) is that you just need the key fob with the remote starter button to have this work b/c the package is already included when you purchased tahoes.

Has anyone tried working the remote starter?

thanks.

I too have the 1LT package and had the remote installed. You will have to purchase the remote starter kit from the dealer. It will include the new fobs and a GM code for the service tech to program your computer to your VIN #. Fobs alone will not work...

exercise76

Reaction score
I just recently purchased an 07 tahoe ls and had been thinking about getting the remote start option. How much did the dealer charge for the remote starter kit and programming??

CaMs

Reaction score
is this the part number we would need, #17801237

I checked gmpartsdirect.com and its $141
is this all we would need + dealer programming?

sgmstr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have the 1LT package and had the remote installed. You will have to purchase the remote starter kit from the dealer. It will include the new fobs and a GM code for the service tech to program your computer to your VIN #. Fobs alone will not work...

Thanks very much for the info. This is what I needed: someone who actually installed it.

Can you tell me the part number for the GM code and how much did it cost you?

Thanks.

Donzi4me

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info. This is what I needed: someone who actually installed it.

Can you tell me the part number for the GM code and how much did it cost you?

Thanks.

Don't know the part number or cost. After I got my price on the new Tahoe, I told the salesman I wanted the remote start. He estimated it at around $250 complete. When I took delivery, he said no charge, so I'm not sure about the cost.

But you will have to take it in and have the service tech enter your remote code and reprogram the computer. It's a remote start kit, 2 fobs and the remote code for your vehicle.