02 Yukon 5.3L not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here.
2002 yukon 5.3l @ 62k miles. Just drove 500 miles on family trip. no problems. get home and vehicle sits 2 days then doesnt start. fuel guage indicated 1/4 tank. test for fuel pressure at shrader valve on fuel rail with key on--0 psi.
listen inside fuel tank for fuel pump coming on while key is turned on---ok i hear fuel pump run a couple of seconds then shuts off cause engine isn't being cranked. removed fuel filter and attached hose coming from tank. turn key on no fuel comes out. Add 5 gallons of fuel. vehicle starts. i drive to my mechanic and now they think fuel pump module problem for everytime key is turned on fuel guage indicates different amount. no other problems on instrument cluster to indicate bad fuel guage. I guess I ran out of fuel in my driveway???
Is there a history with fuel pump problems on 02 yukons? My mechanic did mention about OEM connector on top of tank that he is aware of and problems with that usually instead of fuel pump. Monday they are going to drop tank and look at everything. They recommended OEM fuel pump from GM instead of aftermarket.
any advice would be appreciated.

flyboy

"when I was young, scary noises came from under my bed. Now they come from under my truck!"

flyboy

Reaction score
Fuel Pump update

my mechanic dropped the tank enough to pull out pump.
everything looked good. strainer a little dirty. installed new OEM pump and new fuel filter. added 6 gallons of gas and checked guage everytime. everything on guage fine and filled tank. reset odometer and going to watch MPG to estimate fuel guage level.
I have not had this truck very long. One mechanic indicated GM fuel guages tend to show lots of fuel compared to mileage the last 3/4 to full tank and then as you approach half tank to empty and guage moves faster. does anyone else know this to be true? i hope i explained it good enough?
also when filing the tank now i went to two seperate gas companies for it seems the fuel filling nozzle clicks off every 20 seconds where i used to be able to stick in and let it run, now i have to manually hold the handle.
did they mess up something on the fuel tank vent hose going up by the filler tube?
anyways happy reading