Help with 1999 chevy tahoe speaker removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradlays

Reaction score
I am trying to install 2 digital design DDCx6.5" speakers in the front of my tahoe, and 2 4x10 memphis speakers in the back ceiling. I'm having some problems removing the paper speakers though. Again I have two 4x10's up in the far back ceiling and I have two 6.5" speakers in the very front.

With the front speakers they do not have screws, it just has pre started drill holes, and I am unaware of how to remove it. The attached picture will show what it looks like. Looks to me like it opens like its on a hinge or something...

Now with the two 4x10's in the back the bolts are very very tight fitted and I have tried sockets but they didn't work and I tried a nut driver but that did not work either. Also it is really hard to tell which socket is even the right size. 1/4" seems to small while anything else is to big to fit in the small crevice.

Front speakers:
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1630/0000002qe9.jpg

Rear Speakers:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8135/0000001du3.jpg

(offtopic: I know this is my first post on the forum, but I have bookmarked the site and I will check it periodically. I just want everyone to know that you will not be wasting your time by responding.)

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's just a metal tab that holds the door spkr in . just pry it off gently at the metal clip

and mine took a 5/16 socket on those 4x10

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fronts just pry the metal tab, and get the hinge out. the 4x10s in the rear, i used a socket on the 2 i could get, and snapped the old speakers so i could get an adjustable wrench in there and loosen them enough so the plastic could slide out of the way. then remove it the rest with the socket. i feel the speakers were a bad design. i will never put 4x10s back there again.

bradlays

Reaction score
Yea they were very horribly designed. Not just the tight fit, but they could have at least used screws or something with easier access. The bolts were a pain, but once i got the old speakers out it was a lot easier. I plan on attempting to get the front speakers out tomorrow. Thanks for the help