Can I do the Magnaflow install on my own?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got my Magnaflow catback in and now I'm second guessing my ability to do the install. I've never done an exhaust install before and really thought I could do this until I realized that I have to make a cut on the original exhaust. I don't even think I have anything that would cut through the original pipes.... What do you guys think?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put my GM perf catback on and it took two hours. You will need a sawzall, chain style pipe cutter, or cutting torch because you have to cut the factory exhaust somewhere behind the muffler and ahead of about half way up the kickup over the rear axle. Any farther back and you can't get the muffler part out. I don't know if it is possible to remove intact if you have it up on a lift. I doubt it is. You'll need a good rust penetrant like Kroil to soak the two nuts off. Since they are on headless bolts, you want to make sure you don't twist the bolt out of the knurled portion of the flange. If you do, then you'll have to cut them out. GM provided two bolts and nuts in case that happens. Also bought a special tool to remove the hangers from the rubber links. You have to drop spare and remove the heat shield. The Corsa website has a set of install instructions for their system.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU for the referal to the Corsa site.... The directions that were sent w/ the Magnaflow system weren't even close to detailed like the Corsa's directions. The Magnaflow basically says, "take the stock system off, and put the new sytem on." But now I think I can tackle it.

One more question... What can I use in place of the Grommet Pullers? I'd rather not go buy that if I'm probably only going to use it once.

Thanks,
Mike

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's extremely easy! I installed my Magnaflow exhaust in just over a half an hour. I was able to install mine without using jack stands, and without removing the spare tire or the heat shield. You are however going to need a sawzall or a pipe cutter to remove the factory exhaust. To remove the exhaust from the hangers I just used some "liquid wrench" and a large flat head screw driver.

I've installed a couple other exhaust systems in my day and I have NEVER had one go as smoothly as the Magnaflow. That says alot for the quality of this system.

You can do it! Good luck!

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second what gmcul8r said...very easy install. Once you cut the factory exhaust, you can get it out without dropping the spare tire. I did remove the heat shield since it was so easy tod o, it gave me a few more inches room to play with. For the rubber isolators, I used my large Channel Lock pliers - just widen them out enough to put one jaw on the rubber isolator and the other on the hanger, and gently squeeze together...once you get it close to the end of the hanger, you can push it off or use a screwdriver to leverage it off...not that hard to do once you do the first one.

I also agree, the magnaflow went on much easier than any other catback I've ever installed...real high quality and consistency. Enjoy the sweet sounds once you get it finished!

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great feedback. I'm going to try the install either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. My only concerns are the cutting (b/c I don't think this rinky dink saw I have will do it) and removing the hangers (b/c I don't really have any thing that I think will work).

But I guess worse come to worse, I'll have to run up to Home Depot and buy some new tools :shhh:

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the whole thing to Midas and give them $50. Done.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember to loosely bolt it together at first (don't tighten it up until you have everything positioned where you want it). You'll probably have to adjust the tip section to get the right amount of clearance from your body panel (try for aabout 1/2", no less).

Every man needs a Sawzall, so make it easy on yourself and go get one before you start! It will take 10 seconds with the Sawzall, don't screw around with some hacksaw or something... :) Otherwise, at least get a quality tube cutter (diamond wheel type), will be real clean, but more effort...

It gives you more pride to do it yourself...have fun with it.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeeze. I just priced some online and I'm looking at $100-$200. I really wasn't hoping to spend that much on one but really want to do the install on my own.... I guess I'll have to sleep on this one and figure it out in the morning....

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I DID IT!!!

WHOO HOO!!! :thumbsup: Man, its a great feeling when you just pump up your raisins, go for it, and get it done. Thanks to everyone who replied w/ tips and help. It sounds great so far (I've only started her up and let her sit at idle for a few minutes). After I shower up, I'll go for a test drive.

The install took me about an hour and a half from start to finish. Now that I've done it once, I would imagine I could do it in 45min to an hour. Pretty straight forward install as long as you can get over your self doubts.

I do have one issue though... The intructions and kpanza recommend to make sure that there is at least 1/2" between the tip and the fender, but no matter how I tryed to manipulate the exhaust before I tightened everything, I still only ended up w/ about 1/8-1/4". Is this really that big of a deal?

Thanks again!

PAZach

Reaction score
Not to hijack your threat but I'm having mine installed tomorrow so I'll have some pics and sound clip up this weekend. Glad to hear your install went well. I would have done mine myself but I'm not all that mechanically inclined and I don't have the right tools.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack your threat but I'm having mine installed tomorrow so I'll have some pics and sound clip up this weekend. Glad to hear your install went well. I would have done mine myself but I'm not all that mechanically inclined and I don't have the right tools.

I think you are going to love it... I just really wanted a nice sound at start up and now everytime I start her up, I feel like :clapping:

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the tip being a little too close to the fascia for my liking. My solution was to loosen the clamps a little and put/jam something between the tip and the fascia to create as much of a gap as possible, then tighten. I just stacked a couple of pieces of scrap wood mouldings. I probably have just over half an inch.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the tip being a little too close to the fascia for my liking. My solution was to loosen the clamps a little and put/jam something between the tip and the fascia to create as much of a gap as possible, then tighten. I just stacked a couple of pieces of scrap wood mouldings. I probably have just over half an inch.

Did you loosen all the clamps and then do that, or just the rear ones?

I've already driven for about 30min at a time and haven't had a problem, but I would like to be better safe than sorry...

derrickgh

Reaction score
I had the same issue, I believe Magnaflow suggest 1/2 inch between the tip...the most I could tweak out of it was about 1/4 inch. I have had it on for about 1.5 weeks and am watching it closely but have not seen any issues.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loosened the clamps from the muffler back. It really works great! It got me that extra 1/4" that I needed. The wife would have killed me if I melted the
rear fascia!

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosen the clamps from the muffler back and try to "twist" the rear section "down"...it may take some effort since the pipes are a tight fit, but it can be done...or, have a helper carefully pry down the tip (use a large crowbar or pipe inside the tip) while you tighten the clamps back up...just be careful not to damage the ends of the tip.

I was successful using the "twisting" motion from underneath, and once I got it down enough, cranked down on it with my air ratchet quickly and it was done...go for a test drive and see if it shifts any...mine is about 3/8 to 1/2" away and has never melted anything...

Last edited: