Intermittent turn signal troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimCinNWOR

Reaction score
Got a problem with the turn signals on our '03 Tahoe. Sometimes the turn signals work fine. But about half of the time when we signal for a right turn both sides blink, just like the emergency flasher.

Also, when we connect our trailer (standard 7 pin) everything works fine, sometimes. But about half of the time, the right turn signal has the same problem of blinking both. In addition, when we step on the brake, only the right brake light goes on.

All of the bulbs and fuses are OK. Diagnostics on the trailer found that it's working right. However, diagnostics on the 7 pin connector on the Tahoe found that sometimes it works correctly, but other times it appears as though the voltage going to the right turn signal is shorted to the left.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Driven crazy in Oregon,
TimC

TimCinNWOR

Reaction score
We got the flasher unit replaced today and so far so good. This flasher unit is not like yesterday's simple little units in a couple of ways: its $70 and there are a bunch of wires connected to it. So yeah, there could have been a short circuit in there. We'll see.

TimCinNWOR

Reaction score
Possibly solved

So far, so good. It's been several days now, and we've driven about 400 miles towing our trailer.

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's worked out for you. You're probably feeling good that $70 was all that it cost.

TimCinNWOR

Reaction score
Yeah, kind of...

It turned out to be $140 this time ($70 for the part and $70 for labor) plus at least $150 for troubleshooting previously. If I knew where the part is located I might have been able to change it out myself, but my back is just a tad too old to lie upside down looking up under the dash trying not to break something that is going to cost even more. The frustration had built up so much that we were almost to the point of not caring how much the stupid thing cost. Now we're just glad that we can finally stop tearing out fistfuls of hair.