Taillight tinng

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum, but so far its great. Anyway I have a 1997 Tahoe 4 door 4x4 LT (planning to get an 07 in the not so near future when I can afford it). I just bought a can of VHT Nightshade for tinting your taillights, I was wondering if anyone has done this (on any Tahoe, regardless of year), and had any suggestions on how to go about it. Thanks!!

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awsome

Hey i am new to the forum and i was just wondering if there was a way to tint your taillights without having to buy new ones. I had blackouts on mine and i loved it. Well key word had till they got stolen. What is this stuff you are using and have you tried it yet? I am Very interested to hear more about this. Thanks, Brandon

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I already did it, and followed instructions similar to this, they look great and I will post pictures as soon as I can. Welcome to the site!!

Last edited:

excessive81

Reaction score
i used this on my splash many moons ago, on my vettes side marker lights and getting ready to do my 99 denali. i like the product but you got to clean light well and do thin coats

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of it done.
DSCN0438.jpg

DSCN0421.jpg

bel52air

Reaction score
tail light shading

:thumbsup: I use clear coat and add a little black base coat but the main technique is the prep work and of course the spraying. You want to make sure your surface is fully degrease . I use an adhision promoter ( bulldog adhesion promoter):Chevy:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: I use clear coat and add a little black base coat but the main technique is the prep work and of course the spraying. You want to make sure your surface is fully degrease . I use an adhision promoter ( bulldog adhesion promoter):Chevy:

Yea, I definately agree, it wil definately show up if you dont do that. I didn't use an adhision promoter tho. :Chevy:

DamonG

Reaction score
Did that very mod to my nephews truck. He was very impatient but they turned out good. Prep, prep, prep. Clean them with dish soap and then follow it with alcohol. I used 320 grit to get out the scratches and all the dot markings and such, followed that up with some 1500 and then 2000. Washed in dishsoap again and wiped with alcohol and let air dry. I used two coats and it was plenty dark. I did'nt want him getting a ticket. I suggested a clear but he wanted to get on the road and show all his friends. They look alright but for my taste I would have added some clear, then smoothed it out and buffed them. But that is me. I used the same product and it was pretty painless.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did that very mod to my nephews truck. He was very impatient but they turned out good. Prep, prep, prep. Clean them with dish soap and then follow it with alcohol. I used 320 grit to get out the scratches and all the dot markings and such, followed that up with some 1500 and then 2000. Washed in dishsoap again and wiped with alcohol and let air dry. I used two coats and it was plenty dark. I did'nt want him getting a ticket. I suggested a clear but he wanted to get on the road and show all his friends. They look alright but for my taste I would have added some clear, then smoothed it out and buffed them. But that is me. I used the same product and it was pretty painless.

You should really get some clear on there! Without clear it will chip, I added maybe 4 coats of clear, plus wax, and buff, and I'm pretty sure that it ain't gunna chip any time soon. Try to talk him into waiting for a day or two so you don't have to go through the whole process again. :Chevy:

DamonG

Reaction score
He'll come around when it starts to chip. I tried to tell him but he is 16 and has not patience. He wanted to get on the road so bad to show off his truck. Oh the memories it brought back.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He'll come around when it starts to chip. I tried to tell him but he is 16 and has not patience. He wanted to get on the road so bad to show off his truck. Oh the memories it brought back.

Well, at least he had good taste in getting it done! :Chevy:

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried doing this to their headlights? I had the blackouts on my headlights and really liked the way they looked with the chrome grill. Wondered if this would look similar.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried doing this to their headlights? I had the blackouts on my headlights and really liked the way they looked with the chrome grill. Wondered if this would look similar.

Just be warned in most states blacking out your headlights is illegal, you can however back out your amber/signals. :Chevy:

NOT ANY MORE MR. 719 POSTS:gy: :daz: :velo: :ban: :lol:

:lol: Lol, yea I know I just noticed that.:Chevy:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mods

i have a ticket that says my violation was modifying my vehicle from stock. what a joke! i had legal euro tail lights and had to go to court and get a jury trial before the judge finally dropped the charges. he did however make me peel off my windshield tint. :mad:

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a ticket that says my violation was modifying my vehicle from stock. what a joke! i had legal euro tail lights and had to go to court and get a jury trial before the judge finally dropped the charges. he did however make me peel off my windshield tint. :mad:

Where do you live?? The windshield tint I can understand, but for tailights and modifying your vehicle from stock seems stupid! :Chevy:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i live in south carolina. our state troopers are total nazis about everything. especially out in the country. i got that ticket in conway, sc. now that i live in charleston, sc the cops are way nicer. maybe cuz they have more crackheads and what-not to worry about. most state troopers only hang outside the city on the interstates and back roads. i heard a rumor if you get a ticket by one who isn't wearing his mounty looking hat then you can get out of it cuz he didn't follow procedure. prolly bs but who knows. i now have stock everything on the outside and spend my money on horsepower and stereo equipment =)

you can't be too careful when yer "ridin' dirty"

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the cop didn't have his head so far up his ass, he might have noticed that i had no catalytic converters, and that my truck had no shock absorbers. he was probably dumb enough to think the hydraulic cylinders WERE shocks.

btw, they didn't notice my whole windshield was tinted. they busted me for going past the AS1 line with the eyebrow tint (sc state law, some states have a number of inches or no limit at all). i had 5% black eyebrow and 45% mirror over the whole thing. i found a glass guy to get me a windshield under insurance then he brought it to the tint shop and i got it tinted before it was installed. **** looked sick. i told the tint guy no eyebrow but the sob wouldn't listen.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks, I wish I could take off my cats, but here in Norcal they are super uptight about the exhaust/smog stuff. :Chevy: