modifying a drop kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtalambo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined and already am learning alot about my new tahoe.
My question is that I have a 07 LT 4x4 and ordered a 2/3 drop kit for it, but from photos it does'nt have the drop I really want, if I cut a half turn off the coil it would proably give what I am looking for. Anyone done this or have any advise against this. I basically want the fenders to be filled like 26's do but to not want to actually go that big; only 24's for me.
thanks

Lil Johnys Chevy

Reaction score
Man if i were you i wouldnt cut the springs. Being 4x4 you shouldnt bring that front end down too low cause it will damage the front axles. 2/3 with 24s looks good. Just my .02

jtalambo

Reaction score
Thanks for your insight, I will leave it alone first to see if I like it.

jtalambo

Reaction score
Well I installed the drop kit, took about 3 hours. Pretty easy but like my early concerns the drop was'nt what I really wanted at least the rear. I wish the rear went down maybe another 1.5-2. inches more, I'll wait and see how much it settles to; than it's modifying time for the rear coils.

Attachments

• js1024_IMG_0127.jpg
    js1024_IMG_0127.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 192
  • js1024_IMG_0125.jpg
    js1024_IMG_0125.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 54
  • js1024_IMG_0126.jpg
    js1024_IMG_0126.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 56

BuckyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's you truck, but with those wheels if you get it much lower it's gonna look like a Dodge Magnum on steroids

jtalambo

Reaction score
Those magnums look awesome with huge rims and slammed. I just need the rear of my truck to look level with the front, it almost looks like it wasn't even lowered in the rear.

WhiteTie

Reaction score
What drop kit did you use? do you have autoride?? i think it look sick the way it is.... I want to lower mine...so im looking to get all the insight i can...no to f up a 50k dollar truck...

ps.....considering buying your wheels....real nice!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jtalambo

Reaction score
My driveway has a slope so the pics I took are not the best to reference the height with, but when it was on a pretty level lot than the rake was very noticeable. The kit I bought was the springtech which is on ebay, it actually is a pretty good kit besides the rear rate seems to be high, my neighbor has the eibach kit and the ride and quality are equal. Anyways I have already did my mod to the rear and now she sits level and all is well.
How I did it was, I clamped the 2 lowest coils together and my buddy has a super high temp oven which we placed in it and got those two coils closer together, since the upper and lower ends of the coils wraps smaller in diameter it would have been impossible to cut them and have them seat right. So the heat method was my only alternative, I know you critics out there is probably thinking the heat will fatigue the metal, that is true only if you heat a section of the coil and not the entire coil itself. The method I used is similar to shotpin steel so I am confident it will be good if not better than before.

P.s. If anyone wants to buy my rims please let me know soon because the truck is a daily driver and I am putting mileage on those new pirellis, they are now a week old.

WhiteTie

Reaction score
How does it ride compared to stock...i am very hesitant but i want to lower it.... any feedback would be awesome.
Thanks

jtalambo

Reaction score
If you do not have experience with lowered vehicles than you may think the ride is rough, I would rate my ride probably being a 7, 10 being stock.
hope that helps, if you decide to lower it you will love it after all the work has been done. I can never leave my cars stock too cookie cutter for me.

Mr Haims

Reaction score
WhiteTie

WhiteTie

I droped my LTZ 2/3 (groud force) and left teh stock 20's, the ride is as smooth as stock and MUCH better around corners, allways you to get another 10 mph through your average corner.

WhiteTie

Reaction score
I have had all my cars lowered....F150 SUpercrew Springs and blocks....
Dodge Ram Hemi....DJM lower control arms, and flip kit...nissan maxima..
springs shocks and sway bars... I love a little bit of a stiff ride, but the ram and the F150 were sleds...the maxima was set up for auto cross...so i knew it was going to be stiff.

So with this being said....
You think a 7 out of 10 I can live with that. Plus i plan on keeping it as stock (wheel wise as possible) do you think the ride would be better say on the stock 20's or in my case OEM 22's from the escalade? How about turing radius? Do you have auto ride? How did it affect that?

Let me know please....im losing sleep over this mod.:Yawn:

WhiteTie

Reaction score
WhiteTie

I droped my LTZ 2/3 (groud force) and left teh stock 20's, the ride is as smooth as stock and MUCH better around corners, allways you to get another 10 mph through your average corner.

PICS? please

jtalambo

Reaction score
Sorry I only have the LT, if I'm not mistaken only the LTZ comes with the autoride. Your 22's will feel fine with the drop not that differant than the 20's, now if you did more of a aggressive drop like a 3/5 (2wd only) than i'm sure the ride will be quite harsh. That low will also require much more trimming of the inner lining of the fender so you get no rubbing from turning and bumps.

Good luck Whitetie

Mr Haims

Reaction score
whitetie

Whitetie,

I have also lowerd all my cars, my evo 8 was set up for autocross as well, corvette with racing susension, trailblazer with drop kit and 22's. I think that even with a 7 out of 10, you will still be very pleased with your drop kit, its a noticably stiffer ride but obviously still a boat. I work at a chevy dealership and I drove a tahoe droped with 22's, breaking feels very heavy but the turning radious is fine. You wont need to trim your fenders either even with the drop. After driving both, stock wheels feel better, but rims on a tahoe just set it off pertfect. I do have auto ride suspension, the drop kit from groundforce (2/3) comes with a new spacer and arm that atackes uder the sensor. Its about a 10 min install for the spacers, very simple. I'll be posting some pics very soon.