Towing Mod To Prevent Rear End Sagging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonpyro

Reaction score
I am trying to find a solution to the sagging rear end on my 07 Yukon when I hook up my 20 ft enclosed cargo trailer. A local rim shop said they have a spring modification that costs under $400. That sounds too good to be true. Has anybody done any rear suspension mods for towing. I have to be careful about making too many changes since it is a lease. Thanks in advance!

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to have the dealership install "autoride" which you may be able to add it to your lease payments. You might also try an aftermarket airbag kit, but that is more expensive, and might be a little to much of a modification for a lease. Good luck!

rod456

Reaction score
I would suggest the airbag Airlift kit, the cheapest model with manual inflate, should cost around $200 installed. You would still need to manually inflate each side, but if it doesn't leak which it shouldn't you will be fixed up...

yukonpyro

Reaction score
Thanks for the great tips you guys! I will look into both options. I really wanted to get the autoride from the start but it was only available on Yukons with a ton of other options I didn't need. I will see if they can add it as a dealer installed option. I will also check on the Airlift kit. Around $200 sounds very reasonable. I went back to the place that advertised "no sag" kits and they said the exact price would be $425 installed with an additional weight capacity of 3000 lbs. The company that makes the product is called Super Spring and they basically add another strengthened leaf to the rear end. He said it raises the rear end 1/4" with no load and will keep it totally level when you add weight. They also say it will not change ride quality. I will check on these and repost when I find more info.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be leery of their claims about not affecting ride quality with the helper springs...myself, I'd go with the Airbags...installed them on my cousin's Silverado and they're awesome...no unwanted stiffness when not towing, and level and smooth ride when you are towing...probably gonna be a LOT cheaper than having the dealer install the Autoride system too...

tracon

Reaction score
Before you spend alot of money try to move the load around in your trailer if you can. You can reduce the weight on the hitch by moving the weight more over the trailer wheels than on the hitch. About 85-90% of the weight should be on the trailer. The hitch ball may be to low for the trailer which will move more weight on the hitch. If your load is less than 3000lbs you can use a bathroom scale to get your 10-15% on the hitch. Hope this helps good luck.

yukonpyro

Reaction score
Tracon, Thanks for the tips! I have tried to move equipment around the trailer to pull some weight off the front but it still doesn't help. The trailer has a nose cone with cabinets and a generator and that really seems to weigh it down. Shifting the weight further back makes the trailer sway even more and makes it more difficult to handle. The hitch height is nearly perfect since the new Yukons have the hitch at the height of the bumper and not below it. The load is around 5000 pounds so using the small scale would be tough. I did pull into a interstate weigh station recently to get an exact weight though.

I also found out that Super Srings will not work with regular Yukons since they have a rear coil spring set up unlike the leaf springs like the XL. I am going to contact Camping World tomorrow to see if they have any systems similar to the Airlift kit that rod mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks so much for all your input!!!!

flynhigher

Reaction score
I would also look into a weight distribution hitch! My wife has our Yukon right now but I believe that the owners manual lists the maximum tow weight using a WDH. Check into it!

flynhigher

Reaction score
In my owners manual it is under Towing - Towing a trailer. Toward the end of the section it references hitches. My owners manual shows a diagram and states that if your trailer is over 5k you need a Weight Distributing Hitch.

Prior to the Yukon I owned an expedition. I was going to do a suspension mod like you. After purchasing the correct hitch I no longer needed it.

jneumann

Reaction score
Hey Yukonpro,

I'm not sure if you've purchased something yet but I highly recommend Air Lift Suspension bags. I put a set of their AirLift 1000 bags in my Murano and it made a HUGE difference in towing my boat. The bags go right in the rear springs and take about 40 minutes to install. Its incredibly easy and no tools required - best of all the whole system costs $70. I drilled a hole where my gas cap is so I can easily hook up the air hose. I think the automatic pump costs another $250 for a full air suspension ride. http://www.airliftcompany.com/al1000.html

-jeff

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also look into a weight distribution hitch! My wife has our Yukon right now but I believe that the owners manual lists the maximum tow weight using a WDH. Check into it!

I agree . Lots of experience in this dept as I towed a 28' enclosed race car trailer for many years with a 2500 Subn. The bars that come with the hitch will improve the amount it sags. Also make sure trailer is absolutely perpendicular to the ground. Should not be tilted at all when connected with the bars in place. Look into a minimum of 750lb bars. Lots of people dont realize this is a big issue with quality of the ride and height. You shouldnt need bags or springs. A 20' trailer is not too much for a Yukon.