Newbie to lifting, need some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATTOJ

Reaction score
Hello i have a 99 2 door tahoe and im interested in lifting it 4 inches or so. I have seen people saying i want to lift it in the front but would you lift in in the back too to make it even? I don't really know how to go about this what i was thinking of was calling a body shop and asking them about it. A lot of kits online are really expensive and i can only afford in the 600-700 range. what do you guys think? does it need a 4 incher?

2i22xzo.jpg

tahoeman960208

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for 600 to 700 bucks you could get a 3 inch body lift and have it installed. of course you would then have to pay around a grand or more for 33 inch tires. body lifts look great though, and if you get the rubber flaps that go in the wheelwells, as well as the bumper brackets, it will come out looking real smooth.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your tires 275/65r17. If so they are not 33's they are 31's

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they don't make rear bumper brackets to raise the rear bumper, so if you body lift it you'll have a nice gap betwee nthe rear bumper and the body. (they on'y make the brackets for the pick-ups.)

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a body lift, new torsion keys, and airbags in the rear Im running 305's (just under a 33) no problem...maybe could even go up a size....But for your budget a body lift is fine. 305's rubbed occaisionally without the new keys.(sharp turns when hitting a bump) You can find used tires and wheels for cheap that are in great shape. And for the rear bumper all you have to do is notch the bumper bracket a little and it lines up fine.

zerominded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like everyone else said, body lift might be the way to go. i know i spent a pocket full of money, as well as probably 96procomp. i still need to fix my rear bumper. thanks for reminding me procomp. haha

ATTOJ

Reaction score
so i need new tires then if i want to lift it? i feel bad because my tires are already expensive enough. can anyone link me to where i can find some used tires for cheap that are off roading?

ATTOJ

Reaction score
My tires are goodyear wrangler's LT275/70R/17 size. They are 300 bucks each and id hate to replace them my mother is already mad that i want to because they are so expensive. would it be ok to body lift it like 3-4 inches if possible?

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 inches is the biggest body lift available. body lifts are only like 50-75 bucks plus labor. new torsion keys and a add a leaf is about 125-150 bucks plus labor. thats easily 5 inches higher than stock.

ATTOJ

Reaction score
thats what im wonderin. theres one 3 inch one for 157 but that seemed hella cheap to me.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen 36's on a 3" BL and cranked a little

justin9844

Reaction score
i got 315/75/16 on stock wheels and is really tight but surprisingly doesnt rub. i plan on goin with a 3" body lift with some keys and helper springs as well.

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok after doing some research...body lift prices have increased over the past 9 years. Sorry bout that. $157 for a body lift isnt bad. As long as it comes with everything you need then go for it.

justin9844

Reaction score
performance accessories makes a nice kit for 200 bux. or go to suspensionconnection.com they have some for 200 shipped.

justin9844

Reaction score
wow that is alot cheaper. i think i will go that route with the gap guards. or may make my own. only diff i see is summit is warr. for 90 days and pa is for lifetime but that doesnt matter to me. nice find.