anyone use their Tahoe as work vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbyg123

Reaction score
As I said in a previous thread, my wife and I had twins 8 months ago and I'm going to need to upsize my vehicle. I'm an outside salesman and drive between 15-20K miles/year, so my basic question is how comfortable (and durable) do you think the Tahoe would be for extended use? We live in the Greater Seattle area, and the more I think about it, the Tahoe would be a nearly ideal vehicle for me.

I want a large 4x4 vehicle that has the ability to pull a small to midsize trailer over a farily mild mountain pass

I want the option of occasionally seating 6-7 people when the grandparents are in the picture.

I want a safer vehicle than my current Infiniti G35 (which I love but is now WAY too small)

Most of all, I NEED the Tahoe to be a reliable work vehicle. I do mostly highway driving with minimal stop and go, so you'd think the rig would be well suited for me needs.

Thoughts?

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be good for you except for carrying 6-7 people. The 3rd row is not comfortable for adults because it has no true footwell. If you need to fit adults back there I would recommend spending a few extra dollars and getting the suburban.

bobbyg123

Reaction score
Thanks guys

The mileage may not be good, but I'm not exactly driving a Prius right now. My Infiniti gets 22hwy and takes premium unleaded. I wouldn't be surprised that with my hwy driving coupled with the mild climate here if I couldn't average 17-18mpg.

It's not so much that I "need" the 3rd row. It's a just in case thing. We'll be getting my wife a minivan in a few months, but I'd like to have 3rd row capability in the Tahoe because there are many times when I'll get stuck needing a 5th seat for the Grandparents. The 2nd row bench in the Tahoe is very large and you can squeeze someone in the center seat even if they're between 2 car seats. That's a huge plus. Also, the 3rd row would occasionally be used. We're a short/thin family. I'm 5'9 and my Dad's shorter. They could easily survive in the 3rd row for 20 minute drives to the park or around town.

I'm also looking for the best 1/2 ton tow vehicle out there, and I've heard great things about the Tahoe. That's pretty much a deal sealer for me, because I can tow a 5K pound trailer and still obtain 15-20mpg when I use it for work. There aren't many other better options for me. The Ford Expedition maybe? I do like their fold flat seats. I just don't like (trust) Ford.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe Mileage

I believe in one of your prior posts you mention that you would get a 4x4 Tahoe. If so, you can expect to get 13-15 mpg. You may do slightly better than that if all of your driving is on the open highway but not much better. I have the a 4x4 and average about 13. My driving is split almost equally between around town and open highway.

If you are going to carry people in the third row seats with any frequency or if you need any kind of storage when the seats are installed you should definitely opt for the Burb.

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got an 02 tahoe for work and snow plowing..I use to have a 2dr OBS tahoe for work and plowing no complaints from me I own a roofing company and had as much as 1500 pounds in the back at one time and it hardly affected the truck