Isimple Ipod Integration kit- review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed the Isimple IPOD integration kit into my 08 Tahoe. Just wanted to post my thoughts on this product.

The Isimple Kit ties into the headunit and uses the XM option on the radio. Your XM radio would still work with this, the kit just allows you to enter into different "modes" while xm is selected. This kit also has an auxiliary input (Aux2) for a NON ipod device with standard RCA inputs (can use RCA to Headphone jack, etc.) You can also purchase an Isimple HDRadio add on for this unit.

There is TWO modes to operate the IPOD... IPOD and AUX1. In IPOD mode you can only control the ipod through the radio, the Ipod goes into "Do not disconnect" mode. You have the option of scrolling through playlists, artists, genre's, etc. from the radio. This is very similar to many of the aftermarket kits out there. There are Pros and Cons to this mode:

IPOD MODE:
Pros:
Radio will display music information - title, artists, etc.
Radio control of Ipod
Steering wheel controls work

Cons:
Browsing through is slow, have to go through EACH item vs the fast scrolling on the ipod.
Does not utilize the XM Browsing interface very well, hard to explain - but the artist names do not show up like the station genre's would (Nav unit).

In the end - it really takes some getting use to navigating through the interface. Playlists are your friend here.

AUX1 MODE:
Pros:
In this mode you control the Ipod via the Ipod. Can be easier using this mode if you really bounce around from artist to artist vs. playlist.
I believe you can still use the steering wheel controls/radio to move to the next track, etc. (Not 100% sure on this)

Cons:
No Artist information displayed

Few other notes - I used to connect my ipod via the aux input jack on the radio... This direct connection is a far better connection, the sound is greatly improved and you dont have to worry about the volume levels on your ipod.

This device will also Charge your IPOD. The kit i have uses the FIWI charging pins at 12v, which is good for all ipods except the new 3g iphone, 2nd gen itouch and 4th gen nano. The company already has a fix for this (New data cable) which switches to the USB 5v charging pin. I imagine they should be including this in their kits very soon. I talked them into sending me out the new cable for free, as i just purchased this item. They want to charge $25 for this cable (stupid).

At first i was not happy with the way the IPOD mode worked, but it just takes a little getting used to. I think all the kits use the same process anyway, just a matter of getting any additional options you want. I really like the ability to manually control the IPOD also. Not sure if all kits have this option or not.

I picked this up for $130 online, and you can get this at bestbuy. I believe they are a major retailer for the Isimple products.

http://www.isimplesolutions.com/CES/default.asp

FYI - most 08+ nav units allow you to browse XM without the driver restrictions... So no need for a lockpick for this - but as i mentioned, this unit does not really utilize the XM menu system (I imagine there is a limit/restriction on itemized listings, folder, etc.)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this in my '08 since the beginning of September.

Overall, its not a bad setup. I only use the IPOD mode.

The one complaint I have is:

- I have a playlist of about 200-300 songs that are rated "5 star", basically a best of best in my music collection

- I like to play this playlist with the songs on "random"(shuffle)

- To do this, you must set the IPOD to "shuffle" before plugging into the iSimple. This will randomly play a song from your playlist

- The problem is, if you skip a song immediately after it comes on (while its updating the song info on the screen) it will somehow turn the "shuffle" off and then begin to play your playlist in alphabetical order.

- You cant simply disconnect the ipod and turn shuffle back on either. The isimple will continue to then turn the "shuffle" off.

- The only way to fix it that I've found is to have the isimple no longer be able to "see" your ipod. (unplug ipod, switch to xm, switch back to ipod, let it tell you there's no ipod connected, switch back to xm, turn "shuffle" mode back on, plug in ipod, switch back to ipod)

It's really aggrevating and I've called them multiple times about it and they dont have an updated firmware for the iSimple to fix this problem.

With most other vehicles, the iSimple will use one of the "preset" buttons on the radio to toggle the "shuffle/random" on and off. This doesnt work on our radios though. The reason is that no matter what source you're on (radio, cd, xm, etc...) hitting the preset buttons will switch to that source/preset. (Ie... if you have a preset programmed to FM 100.1 and hit that while listening to a CD or ipod, it will switch to FM and that station)

Other than that, the iSimple is the cheapest and easiest solution to use. None of that crazy non-sense like the ipod lock picks.

GM was supposed to release some other thing (over a year ago) that is exactly the same as the iSimple (not sure if they ever did).

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention the shuffle thing...

My buddy just picked up an Acura TSX with the factory Ipod integration... I was telling him about my lack of being able to shuffle - and he cannot do it on his car either. I found that really wierd - but it also made me think - if they cant get this working on factory cars, maybe there are some issues with external interfaces accessing this particular function.

As you mentioned - you can start the shuffle prior to plugging it in... but there are little issues here and there.