Replacing my torsion keys, please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaKing602

Reaction score
Ok, today i will be atempting to install new torsion keys to lift my front end so I can put 33's under my Yukon. I have done quite a bit of research on it (mainly from you guys, THANKS) and I have read that I can use a 7 ton gear puller. All I could find is a 5 ton gear puller. Would I be able to use that instead of a 7 ton or do I have to use a 7 ton? Thanks for any help.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not positive but I know you can get a 7 ton puller at sears for like $40. Better safe than sorry having that puller fail with all that tension on it would certainly ruin your day.......

DaKing602

Reaction score
Yeah i know they sell them at sears but I'm in a small town in the middle of nowhere and the only thing they have here is an autozone. All they have is a 5 ton. They also have a ball bearing puller and that looks like the torsion bar removal tool but i don't know if that is very safe.

Grocery Getter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Well, I don't know enough about it to chime in on that but I do know if you are as impatient as I am and are going to give it a go anyway then just make sure you are not under the truck when you unload the keys with the 5 ton. I am no expert but I recently lowered my Tahoe and had the same trouble finding and affordable puller/unloader and I live in the city. Everyone told me that Autozone would lend me an unloader but they all told me they do not lend tools anymore. You can always but the unloader for $100 and be very careful with it and just return it when you are done. Send Boostaholic a PM and ask him, he seems to be knowledgeable of these sorts of things and can probably tell you if a 5ton will get the job done.

ballsie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Autozone gear puller to remove and reinstall my keys. I had no problems.. Worked perfect!

DISCLAIMER: I said "I" had no problems. Not going to guarantee that you wont.

Good Luck.. shouldnt take too long.

DaKing602

Reaction score
Well, I did my keys with the 5 ton puller from autozone. I didn't have any problems. The only issue is that I don't have an air tool and that would have really helped me out. I have a rachet but it's too small and I couldn't get too much leverage so I ended up using 2 wrenches to get the leverage I needed to produce the torque I needed, all by hand. You can imagine how much time and ENERGY it took to finish. By the time I was done I ended up with a 3 inch lift and 1 sore arm. After I was done I came upon another problem, I had bought some 33 inch tires with 15 inch rims. I got a great deal from a flyer in town $550. After I did the lift and put on the tires, I noticed that the back rims hit the brake caliper. Can I put wheel spacers to clear the brake caliper? I really want to put these rims and tires on so I can enjoy my hard work.