Real world CAI/SRI advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonSS

Reaction score
Hello all. Just found this forum tonight so I joined. I have a 2005 Yukon 2WD w/ 5.3L and 3.73 gears. The only mod I have done so far is a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow II single in/dual out. I am looing into a CAI or SRI. I believe the ONLY TRUE CAI for our trucks are the Volant...but I may be wrong. I was looking on probably getting a 57 series K&N FIPK but am wanting advice. K&N the best? How about AEM brute force? brand x? brand y? I am looking for which one actually gives you the most HP, and best gas mileage...granted you keep your foot out of her....hehe. What do ya'll have? Thanks in advance---YukonSS

EL_OCHO

Reaction score
When I first joined this forum, I was hoping for some answers to modding my vehicle. I have not received any input or did not get any elaborate details.:( It would be nice if the administrators were to get vendors involved in informative upgrades that we can consider investing into our trucks.

I am involved in a couple of Charger Forums and even a forum for my 94 Camry with outstanding support and participation. If there was more monitoring from the administrators to get either other more knowing individuals or vendors involved, this would be more enjoyment. To be fair though, I have not found another site that participates as much as this one does, which is very sad. I love my truck and I have money to spend, but just dont want to spend on the wrong items. There should be a sticky on mods and dyno test showing results for our vehicles, this would be a good start and have approved vendors provide this information. Now of course another vendor can show different figures and then throw in the occasional power modder that has their own experiences and dyno results. I just dont see this as other car manufacturer's forum websites. Anyway, I wanted to vent and give you my feedback. This is not my forum, but it could be huge with more involvement.:yesnod:

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey give us some time to get this going :lol:

This forum is still very new and its not my full time job. I personally foot the bill on everything to make sure we Tahoe owners have a place to chat. And sure I would like to bring in more participants however it takes a good user base to support such vendors interests. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum. And remember the "people" make or break a forum not the Admins. Its people like us that contribute to forums that make the content. Lots of frilly ads and such only give you a shopping list.

We really appreciate everyones participation - but please be patient - we are just getting started :lol:

twobitt

Reaction score
El ocho I understand your frustration. I feel very much the same way. The Tahoe I was looking for help with is my wife's car. I drive an Srt-8 and the forums I belong to, big and small, are unbelievable. I don't think I've ever had so much knowledge available to me when it comes to any past car or even hobby/interest. I think the difference lies in the members though and not the admins. I have searched the net for forums involving Tahoes and have done searches for similar topics on what you are looking for and to be honest I think the biggest problem is that most Tahoe owners are primarily interested in either cosmetic upgrades or audio/visual type stuff. Few performance buffs I guess. At least on this forum bparker did respond to one of my questions.

EL_OCHO

Reaction score
It's all good, i was venting. It kind of sucks for me because my car is the Yukon and my wife drives the charger and I am rebuilding my camry and putting performance upgrades for it and this is going to my kid, I have literally put in over $4000.00 into both of these cars and i am itching to do some performance mods to my baby:cryin: .
How long has this forum been running? And as far as getting a vendor to do some leg work, should not be too hard considering this is a new forum with people who want to spend money.
I just see a lot of unanswered mod questions in regards to Tuners, TBS, Chips, CAI's, Catbacks, or at least not enough responses.

Ok, I'm done and i'll be an :Angel:

Peace

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I am looing into a CAI or SRI. I believe the ONLY TRUE CAI for our trucks are the Volant...but I may be wrong. I was looking on probably getting a 57 series K&N FIPK but am wanting advice. K&N the best? How about AEM brute force? brand x? brand y? I am looking for which one actually gives you the most HP, and best gas mileage...granted you keep your foot out of her....hehe. What do ya'll have? Thanks in advance---YukonSS

If you are going to get an aftermarket intake, I would suggest one that isn't open in the engine bay, allowing the engine to ingest all that hot ambient air. And when you compare dyno figures, keep in mind that the bigger gains are higher in the rpm range, where our trucks spend less time. The better intake systems are going to be enclosed in an airbox sucking in cooler air from outside the engine bay. Also, the intake tube is less susceptible to soaking up heat if it is composite rather than metal or aluminum. Volant is an example. I chose one from S&B Performance, and I set it up as a ram-air type setup. With mine, there is a noticeable difference in mileage, and a slight improvement when I'm in the upper rpm range passing someone.

Attachments

• DSC05436.JPG
    DSC05436.JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 27

EL_OCHO

Reaction score
So the one you put in your vehicle was for a ram air hood designed CAI? Do you have pics of hood and how much was the setup and CAI? What type of gains in Mileage and or performance? Do you have other mods with this? Lots of questions, thanks.:crazy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
So the one you put in your vehicle was for a ram air hood designed CAI? Do you have pics of hood and how much was the setup and CAI? What type of gains in Mileage and or performance? Do you have other mods with this? Lots of questions, thanks.:crazy:

Actually, the system I installed in mine was setup like the factory airbox and sucked in air at the inner fender opening. I modified it so that it used the openings in the lower valance where my recovery hooks used to be. I'll post some pics later when I get a chance. I did notice an improvement with mileage and performance, though only in the mid to upper rpm range (for performance). I dropped from about 14.5mpg down to 12 mpg when I added my wheels. Then after the exhaust and CAI mods I'm almost back up to around 14mpg. The CAI ran me $217 shipped. The extras I spent to mod the intake and make the ram-air setup was about $20 and an extra 3 hrs worth of time.

Armycop

Reaction score
As for my 01 Yukon, I went with a Volant CAI. It sits in the stock location, is enclosed (except for the air intakes) and has a nifty intake snorkle (accessory) that routes from the tow hook opening in the fender trim up to the airbox. I modified (read: removed) a portion of the inner fender panel to allow even more cold air into the air box.

Once the computer re-learned the A/F ratios, I've seen an increase in gas mileage, and also a noticeable difference in upper-rpm power. Intake noise has also increased, but I like the sound of air being sucked into the engine! :thumbsup:

Any CAI that isolates the air filter from under-hood air is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I will look forward to seeing the pics, thanks

Here are a couple pics of the setup I fab'ed up. I would like to see the Volant setup, so if anyone has this and could post some pics that would be great.

Attachments

• Ram-air setup.JPG
    Ram-air setup.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Ram-air setup (1).JPG
    Ram-air setup (1).JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Ram-air setup (2).JPG
    Ram-air setup (2).JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC05436.JPG
    DSC05436.JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 25

Hawstly

Site Admin
Reaction score
I designed the same type system on my 99 Vette back in the day and it was great. ironically someone took my design and made a product for them called "Vararam.com" and have had good success with it.

With that intake duct location it is great for cooler air and results HOWEVER please be very careful when driving through standing water.

:cya:

Here are a couple pics of the setup I fab'ed up. I would like to see the Volant setup, so if anyone has this and could post some pics that would be great.

EL_OCHO

Reaction score
With that intake duct location it is great for cooler air and results HOWEVER please be very careful when driving through standing water.

:cya:

This design looks subsceptable to water damage through the intake. I drive my truck in all environments and rain is one, which I imagine would be mostly everybody, there will be a ton of water going into the casing, it only takes a littly water to start damaging your engine.

I have thought about going Volant, but there still is that chance, when you drive through deeper puddles, I fear that water will find itself in the intake. It wont be as opened as the other design.