Gen 3 GM LockPick - comments?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwnorris

Reaction score
I have an 07 Yukon and have heard about the Gen 3 GM Lockpick from Coastal Electronics. Is it any good? Does it live up to the expectations? How about its competitors?

I am interested in your comments before I buy.

Thanks,

J W
:cool:

WhiteTie

Reaction score
i installed one on my 07 LTZ....took me 20 minutes to install it once i got enought nerve to pull the "wood" around the head unit off with some "muscle" it pops right off. The kit works 100% perfect. I bought it on ebay for 265 shipped! it is a coastal tech unit! Works like a charm...very happy to be able to watch Movies while the car is in motion....wife loves this on road trips to the Keys.
2:thumbsup:

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 2007 LTZ with the Lock Pick device installed. Installation was pretty easy. It works well for the most part. One of the features of the device is that it gives you a switched and a non-switched accessory lead that you can use to hook other electronics to. I used the switched side to hook my radar detector to. It works most of the time but sometimes it turns off for no known reason. This does not affect anything but the radar detector. If I turn the ignition off and back on again it goes back on. I bought the Lock Pick mainly to be able to fiddle with the NAV system while the truck is moving. I don't recommend that the driver does this but it is nice for the passenger to be able to set the destination without have to stop the truck.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good alternative for the radar detector is the InvisiCord. The leads push into the mirror power connector and keep a nice clean install.

http://www.invisicord.com/index.html

I have the remote unit for the Valentine V1 so I had to run the phone cord wire to it anyway. I mounted the V1 on the drivers side by the mirror and the remote on the flat part of the steering column. The Invisicord would have been an easier alternative had I not had the remote. Thanks.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my GEN3 lockpick today - works great!

Installation went just fine. I had it installed within 15 minutes; I had watched the installation video prior to starting. In my '07 XL Denali, the wiring harness assembly fit is pretty tight when you put things back, but everything does fit. Yes, the most nail-biting part of the install was removing the "wood panel" bezel around the nav/temp controls, but just follow the instruction video and you'll be fine. I have DIP switches 1&2 down (on), and the unit functions perfectly, just as advertised.

I'm a happy camper! :yesnod:

Lizard1

Reaction score
i didn't get the video but i also purchased it last summer. it's been all packaged in the center console and ready to be put in BUT>>>> I cannot figure out how to take off the wood trim.

Can someone please post very specifc and detailed descriptions of exactly where and how they are prying off the wood trim. You might think this is overkill and ridiculous but also keep in mind I've had this sitting in the car for over a year and have yet to be able to get it installed - well get past instrucion #1 :(

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude! Here ya go...

Installation video here. If you use Firefox even with the Media Player plugin, their page is weird over at Coastal eTech.... Anyway, watch the video a couple of times, take a deep breath, and follow the instructions EXACTLY, and you'll be done in no time.