2003 Tahoe Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dwhoelse

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying this site is a great resource for us Tahoe/Yukon enthusiast.

I have a 2003 Tahoe LT, and my speedometer recently stopped working. Anyone have a similar experience and know what the "fix" is? I have a family of GM vehicles but I haven't run across this problem.

Thanks in advance.

jvangun

Reaction score
spedo problems

I have an 04 Yukon and the gauge started "skipping" around and then stopped all together. I ended up needing a whole new electric cluster which ran about $400.

Dwhoelse

Reaction score
I know this is old but someone may be having the same problem. I couldn't...rather I refused to spend the quoted price of $500.00 on a new cluster for a 4 year old vehicle.

I looked around and found that the 'stepper motors' are the common culprit that cause the speedometer and other gauges to become erratic or stop working all together.

The cluster can be taken out of the vehicle (fairly easily) and repaired. You can drive the vehicle if you have to with out the cluster although it's not recommended. If you have questions feel free to send me a pm.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a letter today from Chevrolet for the 03 Tahoe LT saying:

"This letter is intended to make yo aware that your vehicle could develop a condition where one or more of the instrument panel gauge needles may stick, flutter, or become inoperative..."

"General Motors is providing owners with a special coverage that extends the warranty on the instrument panel cluster for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2003 model year Chevrolet Tahoe within 7 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 70k miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge."

"Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a GM dealer..."

"The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition."

Sounds like you might be able to take it to the dealer and get it fixed for free. Others that have already paid to get it done can get reimbursed if they got it done at a dealer.

chwnn255

Reaction score
Here's a repair site with Excellent feedback on Ebay... $99.00 repair charge... sweet!

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=gm+cluster+repair

Before I send mine in I'm definitely gonna call GM and see if my 2003 Yukon qualifies under the recall. Even though it has 89k miles this started happening way back and I've been pulling the IPC 10 amp fuse turning off/on the car and it resets and works for ... a day...3 days sometimes even 2 weeks... but a sucky way to live especially around the holidays with trigger happy smokies waiting to wax your tail with a $200 ticket. Good luck.