**Help** Leveling kit is .5" higher on one side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4TXAGZ

Reaction score
New to the forum and need a little assistance. I have an '08 Tahoe Z71 4x4 and recently had a Ready Lift leveling kit added to the front. Now the front passenger side is .5" higher than the front driver's side. A couple of questions... 1. Could my Tahoe be "off" from the factory, thus causing the difference?, or 2. Is this common?

I'm a freak about details and this bugs the hell out of me. If I ask others if they see any difference (from all angles) no one notices.

What could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don;t even know what to say about that. I suggst you take it to a Suspension store and have them check it out. Coul be a spacer somewhere that wasn't installed!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah somethings off there and I would take it back to the shop. Did they do an alignment after the install? So far I have not seen any issues with left to right height differences...

Just curious, what brand is the level kit and how much lift does it provide? You indicated no one else notices, can you?

4TXAGZ

Reaction score
It is a Ready Lift 1.5" kit. Yep, I notice it quite a bit. In fact, my brother brought it to my attention when he was following me a few weeks back. Now I can't drive it without noticing...

**UPDATE**

We removed the RL kit today and took it back to stock. The whole driver's side is 5/8" lower than the passenger side. I took it to the dealer and they have it. Will continue to post updates...

Thanks for your help!

4TXAGZ

Reaction score
**Here's the deal**

Just picked up my Tahoe from the dealership. I was told by the Svs. Mgr. that 5/8" is WITHIN GM specs, and there is NOTHING they can or will do about it. Basically, tough sh*t. They also hassled the hell out of me for "someone tinkering with the front end." I explained that we measured the suspension BEFORE the levling kit, found that it was off, decided to install anyway, and it didn't correct...so we removed it and made it stock again. Nothing was damaged, removed, replaced, etc... all OEM parts were on and in good working order.

So obviously this hacks me off, but I have no alternatives other than to buy a 2.5" kit, install it on the lower side, install a 2.0" kit on the high side, and wish for the best. :mad2:

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW thats some BS for ya!
Why did you'll install the kit when you knew the car was leaning on one side?
You should have know the Stealership would BS you!

4TXAGZ

Reaction score
The kit is two pieces per side. One thick aluminum spacer that fits on top of the coil, one smaller one on the bottom. On the high side, we didn't use the bottom spacer... on the lower side we did...thinking this would make up the difference... it didn't.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try taking off another spacer on the higher side?

4TXAGZ

Reaction score
We tried every option with the kit...to no avail. My next choice is to buy a CCM 2.5" kit and a 2.0" kit. I will use the 2.5 spacer on the low side and the 2" on the high. In theory, that should leave a 1/8" difference and I can certainly live with that. If that doesn't work, I give up.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Is it the stock spring that is shorter or something else with the suspension? If it is the stock spring, maybe a member on here has one. Worth a try!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

4TXAGZ

Reaction score
I called another 4x4 store. We're going to change the springs and install a Rancho Quick Lift system. 2" in the front, 1" in the back. I'll let you know how this turns out!

Thanks.

Hulz07Tahoe

Reaction score
The Rancho Quick List system looks pretty sweet. I checked the Rancho website but couldn't find an installation guide. Any update on the installation? I'm curious to know how well it went and if you are satisfied with it.

Thanks!

GMz71

Reaction score
maybe the gas tank? Im not sure which side the tank sits on, but this could possibly cause this.

4TXAGZ

Reaction score
Sorry it took a while for an update... I had the Rancho Quick Lift system installed last week. The front went up approx. 2.5", and I added new Rancho 9900 shocks on the back with 3/4" spacers. I have to say, while the front is still off 3/8", it is hard to notice now, and I am VERY PLEASED with the overall appearance. I added BFG A-T TA 285/65/18 on the factory wheels and it looks sweet... No rubbing... very aggressive look. Perhaps it's just me, but I think my overall ride quality has improved with the Rancho system. I'm VERY HAPPY with it. I had an '07 LTZ 4x4 before with 2" coil spacers by SkyJacker and it looked very good. However, I'd use Rancho as my first choice for leveling going forward.

The guys in the shop measured the distance from my frame to the ground and it is level all the way around. However, they pointed out to me that on the driver's front side the hood, quarter panel, fender flare, bumper, door, all are off... the lines don't match up like on the passenger side front. I could take it to a body shop and spend thousands trying to overcome a 3/8" difference, fight with GM who is on the verge of bankruptcy, or I could just get over my obsessive compulsive self and let it go... I think I'll do the latter. :D

If someone tells me how to post pictures, I'll try to snap some this weekend when it's clean and post them.

Last edited:

jonnyenglish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go to flickr set up a profile takes 2 mins host pics there and either link them here or attach the pictures. Glad you got it sorted, I had the same issue on an older Silverado.
Lets see the result...
Jonathan

haydash

Reaction score
Sorry it took a while for an update... I had the Rancho Quick Lift system installed last week. The front went up approx. 2.5", and I added new Rancho 9900 shocks on the back with 3/4" spacers. I have to say, while the front is still off 3/8", it is hard to notice now, and I am VERY PLEASED with the overall appearance. I added BFG A-T TA 285/65/18 on the factory wheels and it looks sweet... No rubbing... very aggressive look. Perhaps it's just me, but I think my overall ride quality has improved with the Rancho system. I'm VERY HAPPY with it. I had an '07 LTZ 4x4 before with 2" coil spacers by SkyJacker and it looked very good. However, I'd use Rancho as my first choice for leveling going forward.

The guys in the shop measured the distance from my frame to the ground and it is level all the way around. However, they pointed out to me that on the driver's front side the hood, quarter panel, fender flare, bumper, door, all are off... the lines don't match up like on the passenger side front. I could take it to a body shop and spend thousands trying to overcome a 3/8" difference, fight with GM who is on the verge of bankruptcy, or I could just get over my obsessive compulsive self and let it go... I think I'll do the latter. :D

If someone tells me how to post pictures, I'll try to snap some this weekend when it's clean and post them.

I've skimmed this entire thread, but didn't see you mention that you adjusted the torsion bars to compensate for your issues.

Did you?

My 2005 Yukon has bolts that are attached to the front torsion bars, and my right side was higher than my left side, so I got underneath and turned the big bolts (which are near the middle of the underneath of the vehicle) and it fixed it right up!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've skimmed this entire thread, but didn't see you mention that you adjusted the torsion bars to compensate for your issues.

Did you?

My 2005 Yukon has bolts that are attached to the front torsion bars, and my right side was higher than my left side, so I got underneath and turned the big bolts (which are near the middle of the underneath of the vehicle) and it fixed it right up!

2007+ models do not use torsion bars, they are IFS.

seanxtreme3000

Reaction score
Hey guys
can i add a 2' leveling spacer to the Rancho Quicklift kit and stick a 1" spacer in th eback or is this already what the Rancho Quicklift is for.
Do i need anything in th eback if i just use the Rancho Quicklift in the front.

Getting readdy to order what you guys tell me and then install my rack with lights and brushgaurd with lights.

Thanks

STSM