add a speaker or replace old speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdubslug

Reaction score
I have 2 12" rockford p2s in my 2 door tahoe but i want more. my choice is either sale the old speakers and buy a pair of Kicker 10" L5s or buy one more 12" rockford to make it a grand total of 3 Rockfor P2s?

Any suggestions on what the better choice would be?

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have used jl audio for yrs now,even competed with them,they are hard to beat and they hit hard!

tahoebrotha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get a couple of w3's or depending on how much amp you got you can go for 1 w7, I'm sure it would be enough for the truck. I got a couple of older w3's with 350 watts going to em and they sound great and plenty loud

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 12 10's at one point. I say add 1 or 2 more 12's and an amp. While the JL's sound good they aren't meant to be a big spl sub. They are made more for sq.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we were using 2 w3's to compete with and were hitting 142db.i think jl can be used as a spl speaker

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
142db really isn't that loud though. I worked at a jl dealer and went to several tech classes and they specifically told us they were "not in the db race. Just an example we have built several systems with single 10's and 12's that would read 150db on our linear X. Most of those used subs that cost half as much as a w3. Now don't get me wron the JL's were damn good subs but they are designed by jl for a different purpose. Another example, a guy at one of our tech classes told JL that the 18w3's "blow" when they asked what he meant he said "I've got 32,000 watts on 6 18w6's and can't get it to do over a 152db" the techs laughed and said you could have 100,000 watts and 20 18w6's and never get any better. They simply weren't designed for it. They are designed for superior signal reproduction and that's it.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can't argue with that,i guess we all like what we like

DJTricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey if your still looking for some speaker ideas i have some that might help you and im doing close to 170 db hit 150 on my highs and mids.

tdubslug

Reaction score
i went ahead and bought some 10" L5 solo barics...any ideas on an affordable 1000Watt or something to push these with?

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go class d. There are plenty of decent class d 1000 watt amps on ebay for less than $200

tdubslug

Reaction score
for now im just gonna switch my buddy amps, his 1000w for my 550w until i can buy a descent amp cause his is pretty crappy...but ill get some pics up when the subs come in hopefully tommorow but who knows.