Subs in the rear roof spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C-Dizzle

Reaction score
Hey,

I am getting at the parts together to finish off my tahoe. I was wondering if anyone has ever done or thought of putting the shallow subs in the spot where the rear roof speakers are? Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks
C-Dizzle

C-Dizzle

Reaction score
I use the cargo area alot and i wanted them out the way and i wanted to have the truck look stock but still have some kick.

Thanks for the advice

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could mount a slim 6 1/2 in the 4x10 spot but it would take a lot of trimming.

http://cgi.ebay.com/95-99-Chevrolet...Subwoofers_Enclosures?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

This is what I'm doing but with kicker cvt 8's. He took it down off ebay because his distributor took sony out of their line up and they didn't cary any more decent 10's that would fit. I figured the kicker cvt 8's would sound better than the sony 10's anyway. The subs should be in tomorrow and when I get them in I will take some pics for you.

96fleetwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 way 6x9s:

32282600009_large.jpg

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel having subs in the headliner will cause a lot of vibrations and would probably make my glasses and garage door opener doors to fall down each time the bass hits

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would think about them in the rear side compartments or under rear seats.

but leave room for the amp or amps. you will never get the subs to sound right

in the doors or the rear headliner.

yukonlover89

Reaction score
subs would sound horrible in the headliner.... good hitting subs are in good enclosures either well ported or sealed boxes subs dont sound the best in open areas such as speaker pods.... just saying

evansm31

Reaction score
When I bought my 12" sub from JL Audio, I asked them about their 8" headliner subs, and they told me that subs for that space, are mid-range subs. That's one of the reasons the JL 8" subs cost an arm and a leg. JL Audio said that they are designed to work hand-in-hand with your door speakers, and your dedicated subs. They also told me that in the case of my '99 Tahoe, I wouldn't notice the vibrating coming from the headliner because my sub makes the whole truck shake anyway. They were right about the 12" sub, but I never bought the 8" headliner subs. Like I said, I have one 12" JL sub in a ported box, with a 350 watt amp, and it sounds good for one speaker. My point is, whatever subs you put in your truck, it's going to vibrate and shake. I hope that helps a little, it came straight from JL audio. Good luck...

cody08

Reaction score
If you want bass then just put a box in the back. Why spend a lot of time and money on something that isn't gonna sound very good anyway. Maybe try building a custom enclosure over one of the rear wheel wells.

JonDeere97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have sub boxes that are mAde to go in the back barn door style if that's what you have I put 6x9 kickers in my roof I don't think I'd try anything much bigger if I was to but why not modify you regular doors to have maybe an 8" sub in each door