front end shakes when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raggdout63

Reaction score
I have a 99 Yukon 4 dr 4x4. I recently replaced the rotors and pads. I also replaced the front and rear shock. When I hit the brakes the front end seems to shake, sometimes violently. Usually the harder I brake the worse it is. I checked my BallJoints and steering components. All seem to be tight according to the Haynes manual.

How difficult is replacing the ball joints on these trucks?
Thanks for the help

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you say you just changed the rotors and pads, but are you sure it's not a warped rotor?

raggdout63

Reaction score
I thought the same thing, so I checked them as well. Talked to my Father who has same truck just a couple years older. Supposedly if you replace your pads without bleeding there is a valve or something that will cause this. dont know if its true, but Im going to bleed the brakes when my wife gets home with it. Ill post if it works.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be slack in a steering component. Check everything for tightness :thumbsup:

raggdout63

Reaction score
BParker in my first post I stated that all of my steering components are tight. After bleeding the rear brakes all seems good. Im going on a road trip this weekend so that will be the ultimate test. Ill post when I get back.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed that. GL on your trip and maybe it will iron out or become more apparent with some millage ;)

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, and I also just had the brakes and shocks replaced. I think that it is just the way it is built, since the car was new it shakes when I brake hard. The shop I take it to is incredibly knowledgable and they have done everything to the brakes short of slapping some big Baer brakes on there and it still shakes. A lot of people I talk to with the same model have the same problem, and I've come to the conclusion that the brakes just suck *(and the guys at the shop I take it to agree):Chevy: , but what do you expect when you have drum brakes in the rear. I think the only way to fix the shake is to put all new disc brakes all around (probably from Baer). Good Luck :Chevy: