Getting ready to do keys and spacers....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotchef181818

Reaction score
Research done, but have a couple ?'s
I have found the maxx suspension keys and the only reason i might spend the money on them is the spacer for the shocks that allow you to use stock units. My first question is will i need to change the rear shocks anyways with the coil spacer or can i leave them stock as well? If I need to change them it only makes sense to buy cheaper ford keys and 4 new shocks. From what I have read 285/75/17 seems to be the biggest you can run with keys and spacers, anyone tried larger? I would like to be able to squeeze 33x12.5'17 if I can. Also any ideas where to get good prices on the parts in the Denver area? Thanks guys, I'm trying to get this project started as I almost finished with the 75 scout.

m2griff

Reaction score

IMI4tth3w

Reaction score
ford keys. 1.5" spacers. some new shocks if you want. thats about all there is as far as a leveling kit for tahoes. if you want 33's put a body lift unless you wanna trim half your wheel well. you WILL rub like a BITCH if you just do keys and spacers on 33's and you might as well not even have shocks cause it'll ride like ****

hotchef181818

Reaction score
ford keys. 1.5" spacers. some new shocks if you want. thats about all there is as far as a leveling kit for tahoes. if you want 33's put a body lift unless you wanna trim half your wheel well. you WILL rub like a BITCH if you just do keys and spacers on 33's and you might as well not even have shocks cause it'll ride like ****

In EVERYTHING I have read none of this is true. Can someone chime in here, now I'm completely confused

IMI4tth3w

Reaction score
You really proved me wrong.

Okay so you can fit certain types of 33s with keys and spacers but the majortiy are going to rub so much it's not even worth the horrible cv angles and ball joints worn to sh.t.

If you want to run a 33" tire I recomend a body lift. Keys and spacers wouldn't hurt either just don't over crank them. I said ford keys because you can crank them higher than most other keys and they are cheaper. A lot of people have different opinions about cranking the tortion keys. It's all just what you wanna do.

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33s no matter what width will rub when at full lock left or right. A little trimming may be required but it wont rub like crazy. This set up is very common and i have seen no problems yet. Post some pics when your done

hotchef181818

Reaction score
You really proved me wrong.

Okay so you can fit certain types of 33s with keys and spacers but the majortiy are going to rub so much it's not even worth the horrible cv angles and ball joints worn to sh.t.

If you want to run a 33" tire I recomend a body lift. Keys and spacers wouldn't hurt either just don't over crank them. I said ford keys because you can crank them higher than most other keys and they are cheaper. A lot of people have different opinions about cranking the tortion keys. It's all just what you wanna do.

I thought the whole point of the ford keys was that if you do use you stock ones and crank them the cv's will get torn, thus the point of using the ford keys. From what I understand the ford keys allow you to keep the same suspension geometry.

Also my main ? is about what keys to use, I'm not sold on the cam maxx keys from suspension maxx now that I saw the spacer used. So I guess to sum it up, will I need new shocks with ford keys and coil spacers??

Aquinosteven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any type of torsion cranking no matter what key will create cv angles. You may need shocks even with any size lift.

hotchef181818

Reaction score
OK I guess I'm not doing this after all. I dont understand the point of a really really small lift that only allows a slightly larger tire to be run and tears up your whole trucks suspension. Maybe I'll just lower it with spindles and coils.

IMI4tth3w

Reaction score
haha okay one final explanation.

any sort of lift on a truck in any way will cause stress on many different things. engine, transmission, joints, its just part of lifting a truck.

as far as bad cv angles go, that only applies to 4wd. and i mean you have to really crank the sh.t out of your keys to get bad enough angles to cause them fck up from any normal 4wd usage. if you do some serious offroading and rock crawling, thats a different story. i'm just saying from personal experience. my friend has his keys cranked on his 99 k1500 and just recently shattered his cv shafts rock crawling from bad angles.

as far as shocks go, you'll be okay with factory shocks and keys but even without doing any of these buy shocks will be a decent upgrade on your ride quality. the rear coil spacers are really only to level out the truck and fit some bigger tires.

i've talked to a lot of people with just that in suspension on 33's and 20's and they rub like crazy. of course if you get a narrower tire and smaller rim it probably won't be as bad. just depends on backspacing.

sorry if i talked you out of it. but theres so many better things you could do. just get a 6" suspension and you'll be way more happy with things.

hotchef181818

Reaction score
Ok well I definately won't be rock crawling with this truck, just trying to get a more aggresive stance. Im not going to crank the **** out of the keys, just trying to gain a little more lift and fit a little larger tires. As for offroading, thats what my 75 International Scout is for.

So what I'm gathering new shocks would help a bunch, so go with cheap ford keys, coils, and maybe?? bilstein shocks. Currently the truck is running 17" atx teflon rims, so I believe I will be ok in the rear condsidering its a 8.5 rim.

TAHOE & MJG

Reaction score
20's w/33 x 12.5 nitto mud grapplers

I only have 2" keys and so far no rub....

Attachments

• 121108_0931[00].jpg
    121108_0931[00].jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 58

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are other variables that aren't being discussed here, like a comparision between 20x10 with 4.5" backspacing and 20x8.5 with 5.25" bs. I'm running a 32" tire with a 3/5 drop, I've build plenty of tahoes/yukons/1500 trucks with 20s/33s with minor trimming of the plastics. You need to keep backspacing tight and run a narrow wheel to clear a large tire. I'm in denver if you need some help, I'd get the bilstein 5100 shocks and it would ride nicer than stock with the 33s.

TAHOE & MJG

Reaction score
sorry I have 20x9 with -12 offset seems to work ok and I have stock shocks and the ride is fine....

hotchef181818

Reaction score
Boost I def could use some local help as I'm new to chevy's. I almost contacted you while dealing with justin for my tune. Maf was a mess causing problems. Anyways I have the ATX thugs in 17x8.5 so I dont think the backspacing will be an issue but i could be wrong again. I'm looking to do keys, spacers, shocks and 33x12.5's. You know anyone interested in some BFG AT 265/70-17's with 5k on them? Could you pm me a price on keys, spacers and shocks. Thanks for the help.