Service 4WD Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfleckner2

Reaction score
As I was sitting in my '01 Yukon at Arby's drive thru last night, I was rudely interrupted by a burning electronics aroma. I looked at my dash (where it meets the windshield) and I noticed a bit of smoke rising. Immediately, the message center started bouncing back & forth between "Security" and "Service 4WD". The "ABS" light came on momentarily - and then went out. At that point - I shut it down. When I started it again - all was normal except the "Service 4WD" message appeared (and stayed on). I drove it home without incident. When I got home - I started and shut it off several times - with the same result. When I started it this morning - it was fine except the "Service 4WD" message is being displayed. I drove it to work today - and it seems to run fine - but the "Service 4WD" message stays on. No lights are lit on the 4WD selector panel - and (it appears) I cannot shift into/out of 4WD. Any thoughts?