Trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twobitt

Reaction score
Could someone recommend a good trans cooler for a '04 Tahoe with the 5.3l. It has the towing package but I'm not sure if it has one already stock. Regardless I'd like to install a heavy duty one since we are now using it alot for towing. Is this something that can be installed on your own or do you need a pro to do it? Also if anyone else has any suggestions on inexpensive upgrades for towing they are more then welcome. Was thinking of some sort of trans oil temp gauge as well. Power on it could be way better but it does the job and were in no hurry to get up hills just want to get there without blowing up. I guess any inexpensive power mods would be nice if they will make a difference.

thanks in advance for your help

scarpi

Reaction score
I have an 02 Yukon with the 5.3 engine and towing package and GM told me it has a trans cooler from the factory. Are you sure you don't already have one?

twobitt

Reaction score
I believe I do have one but I hear it does not provide sufficient cooling for heavy towing and that it is better to run an aftermarket one in series with the stock cooler.

Armycop

Reaction score
You do have one, and it works pretty well. Why do you need to change it out? Have you been experiencing transmission problems when towing? If so, what are the symptoms?
B&M is also my recommendation, if you feel you must have an aftermarket cooler.

twobitt

Reaction score
No problems as of yet but I want the aftermarket cooler to help ensure I will not see them. I currently am very easy on the vehicle when I tow but even being light on the pedal your temps in the tranny can climb substantially. Usually when you see signs of trouble in your tranny it is already too late. Trouble is caused by heat almost always and my understanding the cooler is designed for light duty towing so adding an aftermarket cooler in line with the stock one is a nice safety net.

Hawstly

Site Admin
Reaction score
Yep, I would assume the same thing as you are right "generally speaking" about OEM coolers - but I would follow up and check the size and position of the OEM until then compare it to a B&M cooler to see if it is bigger then go from there.

Heat is a trannys worst nightmare :yesnod:

No problems as of yet but I want the aftermarket cooler to help ensure I will not see them. I currently am very easy on the vehicle when I tow but even being light on the pedal your temps in the tranny can climb substantially. Usually when you see signs of trouble in your tranny it is already too late. Trouble is caused by heat almost always and my understanding the cooler is designed for light duty towing so adding an aftermarket cooler in line with the stock one is a nice safety net.

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the replies here suggest that the external cooler be added instead of the factory unit. Transmission coolers are generally added in addition to the factory cooler, not instead of. The output of the factory unit is hooked up to the input of the external unit and then the output of that goes back to the transmission.

Here's a lot of info on how to choose the right size and what different types are available:

http://www.bulkpart.com/transmission-cooler.html

There are other things you can do instead of or in addition to adding an external cooler. There's much more info out there. Do research before you start.

scarpi

Reaction score
Well I've had mine towing a 6500 lb trailer up and down mountain roads in Arizona and have had no transmission problems. I did change my transmission fluid at about 30,000 because I have done alot of towing. Runs great. When you tow use the Tow/Haul mode especially when going uphill so your trans doesn't keep trying to shift into overdrive.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The Tow/Haul mode will also increase the line pressure in the tranny providing firmer and quicker shifts, which will help lessen heat buildup from shifting.
And if I were to add a cooler for the tranny, I would add it in line with the factory cooler for maximum efficiency. They all pretty much work the same way. Of course, larger i.d. tubing and more fin and surface area will cool much more efficiently than the opposite, so keep that in mind when looking for an aux cooler.