Device Left Plugged into Accessory Socket Run Down Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p26963

Reaction score
So if I have something plugged into the accessory socket (i.e. satellite radio, phone charger, etc.) will that run down the battery if I keep it in? I notice that it still runs after the Tahoe is turned off. I thought I read something in the manual about this.

yukonpyro

Reaction score
I have had my cell phone charger plugged into the center console since I bought the Y (two months) and it has not affected the battery yet. I am not sure about leaving an XM unit plugged in though.

p26963

Reaction score
Well I whipped out the manual and found my answer... :nonod:

"The accessory power outlets are powered, even with the ignition off. Continuing to use power outlets while the ignition is off may cause the vehicle's battery to run down."

ugh.. I was hoping that was not the case. It was more conveience leaving it in than anything.

I guess now I'll have to use the on/off button on my satellite radio.

cshump

Reaction score
Check the menu settings on your Sat. Radio unit, it might have an auto off option. My Sirius radio has this feature, it shuts down the unit after 60 min. This can be a little irritating on long commutes, but it saves you from having to remember to turn the unit off every time you leave the vehicle.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may want to consider installing a device called Priority Start. It attaches to the battery and keeps your electrical devices that you might have left on when you stop the truck from running down the battery. I put one on my 2005 Corvette to help deal with the infamous dead battery syndrome. The Priority Starts come in several flavors including cars/trucks, marine, etc. I bought the marine unit on ebay. The first one I bought didn't work right. The seller sent me another that worked fine. Keep in mind that the manufacturer will not provide warranty service if you buy on ebay! This will stop your dead battery issues.

Last edited: