Window Tint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uvamack

Reaction score
I just wanted to let everyone know about an issue I just found out. I put 5% tint on my 2007 Denali on all windows and on the front windshield I did 50%. 3M Ceramic Tint states that their tint doesn't contain metallic elements so it won't interfere with GPS signal or radio. Well that is incorrect. My vehicle has the Navi built in and a few days after the tint was put in, I lost GPS Signal. The dealer swapped radios, as well as installing a new GPS antenna. After exhausting all options, they asked for me to get the front windshield tint removed to see if it was the problem. I had it removed today and once again I have a GPS signal. The GPS antenna is mounted beneath the center of the dash. So I plan to contact 3M regarding this issue. I had to pay $99 for the install and then $40 to get it removed. Just a heads up for everyone.

Greenage

Reaction score
I have heard of this being a problem. Question, did you tint the entire windshield, or just a strip across the top?

uvamack

Reaction score
I tinted the entire windshield. I have contacted my local 3M Automotive rep to let him know of this since they advertise that it doesn't affect GPS. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for this.

Mr Haims

Reaction score
front window

I'm waiting to hear from anyone who has tinted there front window and had no prob with teh NAV, I'm hesitant to tint the whole window becuase of this problem.

ehaser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to know where in the heck you can tint the front window legally!??!?

I get harassed in chicago for 40% tints on the front windows... Sucks ass!!

Mr Haims

Reaction score
tint and nav

No I have no problems with my nav system, just ask your tint man if there is a metalic substance in the tint, that is what makes it go nuts, most tints do not contain this but be sure to ask what kind of film it is. Your tint man will know if it will interfeir with the nav system

William91204

Reaction score
windshield tint

I was going to tint the windshield, but in Cali its an automatic tow. =(

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I had a rock break my 07 Yukons windshield and the replacement windshields all have tint across the top. I for one am happy the windshied got broke (course I was not happy at the time) and insurance paid for it all. Don't know why GM did not install tinted windshields in the first place? Cheaper probably.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate tint laws, here in California you can only tint the front two passenger windows up to 70 percent, basically nothing. The back you can black out, but half the time I'm squinting because the sun is in my eyes through the passenger windows. Although I did black both front windows,side windows, and rear windows in my Twin Turbo Golf, but unfortunately I have been pulled over about twice for having to much tint on the front passenger windows. But tinting the entire windshield seems kind of dangerous, especially at night. :Chevy:

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the slight tint on the front windshield helps out a lot to block heat out of the car and its like wearing sunglasses without wearing sunglasses in your vehicle. Rarely do I drive my company vehicle at night and I wear glasses so this mod helps out incredibly.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did 35% on entire windshield and 5% across the top with rest of windows 5%...............and i live in phoenix,az.....thats why!!

Thus a liability issue for you god forbid you hit a pedestrian at night or any other time. I suppose everyone else in Arizona has theirs done also?

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if tinting the entire winshield effects the perofrmance or radar/laser detectors? i have 5% on my passenger windows and the meter said 1% on my rear windows. i want to do my winshield? not legal in TX but.....ya know...:shhh:

uvamack

Reaction score
3M Color Stable for the windshield

I will speak first hand on my tint experience with the front windshield. I have an 07 Denali and have tried a few different tints and manufacturers. The only one that doesn't affect Navigation or Radar is 3M Color Stable, all others forms of 3M or Solar Gard have some ceramic tint in them which affects nav or radar. I have 50% on the front windshield and 5% on all other windows. Let me know if you have any furthers questions.

asp17

Reaction score
Front Windshield tinting in FL in NOT legal at all. 30% front and 20% rear.

I had mine done in my last car 50% very light but main reason was for the less heat allowed in the car.