'04 performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twobitt

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on upgrading my wife's Tahoe to have more power for towing. I really don't want to spend too much so I'm looking for some help on what inexpensive mods will yield results. It has the 5.3 and has about 50k miles on it. Thinking of starting off by getting a tune up done but I'm not sure if a standard tune up is going to do anything that I can't do myself like new plugs, wire, air filter. Is their anything else included on a standard tune up on these things? Mods I was considering were upgraded air filter or CAI system, wires, plugs, possibly exhaust(don't really want to spend on a cat-back system and don't want drone). Would a muffler yield any results? How about a chip or tuner? Throttle body spacer? Any advice is appreciated. I'm not new to the performance market but I'm not sure what works best on these engines.

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,I would recommend the air-aid or Volant CAI,Hypertech programmer,and if you want an exhaust with no drone at all get the corsa touring exhaust (might be less drone than stock):yesnod: I had these mods and still have the corsa exhaust and supercharger.The programmer you might be able to get on ebay make sure its for the right make and year,I paid new about $300 for programmer $150 for air intake and $700 for exhaust.The air intake and programmer is the best bang for the buck you really dont need exhaust very small gains,I would even say headers before a cat-back headers keep the engine bay cooler and cooler equals more power.Since your going to tow, the programmer is good because you can adjust your shift firmness,engine rpm,top speed limit etc.Forget the thottle body spacer(JUNK).As for a tune up I would change the sparkplugs (gap them to spec).The wires I dont think you need to change inspect them for cracks or dry rot but I would bet there fine.You can also change the rear end,transmission fluid,center diff ,and front diff oils,I do mine every year .Do those few things and you will boost your HP up a bit.Your not going to see a huge difference with these mods but they will definatly help.Good luck!:thumbsup: