Aftermarket HU with factory amp ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoeman86

Reaction score
I'm going to install a aftermarket headunit in a '99 4-door Yukon. From what I read, there is a factory amp for the rear speakers. Should I bypass the factory amp or should I just connect the factory amp to the new aftermarket cd player?

718frankb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your just changing the headunit and keeping the speakers stock then keep the amp . if you plan on adding different speakers then bypass it .theres a (remote turn on wire) in the factory harness make sure you hook it up to the new hu

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would only bypass the amp if you plan on running a 4 channel for the door speakers, or if the amp itself is blown. mine happened to be both of those reasons. the bypass is easy if you need to do it.

tahoeman86

Reaction score
yeah im upgrading to a aftermarket hu and a subwoofer/amp. So I would connect the remote turn on from the new HU to both the factory amp remote turn on and subwoofer power amp remote turn on?

718frankb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in that case bypass the factory amp you'll get cleaner watts out of your new head unit anyway. wire up you door speakers to the new hu and run the new remote to the sub amp along with rca's and power cable.just on thing make sure to run rca's and power cable on oppisite sides of each other so you dont get interference

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just leave the amp in and run the remote to your s/w amp and run the "power antenna" wire to the factory amp. both do the same thing. i would not bypass the amp unless you plan on amping the door speakers.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
the "Power ant wire" only is on when you are on FM or AM when the Ant is needed. the remote wire would have to be used to turn of the factory and and your new amp.. with a BASS amp it does not matter what side of the car you run the power wire or the rca's.. this is b/c engine noise can not be heard in the bass the freq is to high for a sub.

tahoeman86

Reaction score
OK so both factory and sub amp turn on connect to remote turn on from aftermarket HU. Anyone have this configuration??

98GreenDragon

Reaction score
I have an aftermarket competition Clarion HU which I installed and I connected the remote wire from the stereo to a switch and then to the amp so I can shut the amp itself off individually if needed. The factory amp I attached to the power antenna wire as mentioned earlier, the power antenna wire from the stereo will be a constant power wire when the HU is powered on, just like the remote wire on almost all HU's newer than 2000, as well as many of the older ones as well. However some of the older models as mentioned above will only have power when you have the HU switched to AM or FM reception, I have only experienced this once in the past though. Watch the plugs on the old Tahoe trucks though, as things age they start to fall apart a bit and malfunction, the wiring harness to my factory amp had the pins pulling out of the plastic plug and they needed only to be pushed back into place for all the connections to work properly.