Tahoe Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MICHAEL

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of rolling around town with the crappy stock system. I've been looking at Kicker Comp subs, I'd like to get two 12's. But what kind of amp should I use. I don't know crap about systems so if someone could help me out ot would be greatly appreciated.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which kicker comps? the kicker comp, the compVT, compVR, compVX? depending on the type of comp depends on the amp you would need. the compVR are probably the most common and do 500rms, so you would want an amp that does at least 1000rms to power them to theyre fullest potential. now since you say your new to car audio, i just want to kind of clarify what all that means.. RMS is basically your real power output.
when something says, 1000 watts, 500 rms, your basically looking at the rms numbers and matching them up.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well you have a ton of options for that. you could get a 2 channel or a monoblock. you basically want about 250 rms per speaker, but i'd even say go about 300 per just to have some wiggle room. just to throw some brands out, all of these i've used.. Powerbass, kicker, Power Acoustik (i have a monster one of these in my truck now), i'll even say my sony did good.
just for kicks (trust me, i KNOW they're expensive) JL, MMATS

the powerbass amps are on a cheaper side, but in all honesty, those speakers dont handle a lot of power and i'd almost say go with the sony.. they're cheap and give decent power. i have a sony 4 channel now for my mids n highs and it sounds great. i also had a sony bass amp that was in 4 cars of mine before i sold it to my buddy for his RX7. its still playing hard to this day..

DerekD

Reaction score
If you just add the subs, you're still going to have your crappy stock system. You need to look at replacing your HU, stock speakers, then add subs. I haven't done anything with my tahoe yet, but with other cars I've owned, just replacing the HU with something nice almost totally changed the stock speakers.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you add a head unit, you'll be replacing the factory speakers within a few months.
honestly, its an addiction. you slowly add more and more until its done. how you start the build is up to you. in the end, it will all get done.

MICHAEL

Reaction score
if you add a head unit, you'll be replacing the factory speakers within a few months.
honestly, its an addiction. you slowly add more and more until its done. how you start the build is up to you. in the end, it will all get done.

Yeah that is what I was thinking.

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my headunit...did an Alpine flipout...changed the back speakers with JL Audio 6x9 and next is SUBS...I want two 10s what you suggest TahoeGoBoom? id rather take your opinion since you helped me with the speakers in the back.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, yea those 6x9 pods turned out great. as for subs, its all what your lookin for? do you want loud bass, moderate bass, or just there bass. honestly, decent options would be
A) kicker, did 1 10, no, 12, idr, but 1 either way lol, it was 1 in a mega cab ram, and it sounded great. didnt nail the low, but it got down.
B) ... im trying to remember who else makes a 10...

give justin a call, he'll be able to tell you a million setups for the truck. he might even get you to do 12's, just on the fact that some people think 10's mean less space, but you can get 12's that will require less airspace..
if you wanna go crazy get some solo-X's. gawd, i want 3 of them in my truck.. lol

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
do you want a SQ or SPL sub? jl makes really nice subs for SQ like the W6 as well as infinity kapa sub is nice.. but if you want SPL then you can go with MMATS P3.0, PowerBass 3xl, Kicker L5 or L7.. they make a box that goes under the rear seats and you can use a shallow pioneer... but i dont really like how they sound you are really missing a lot of the sq b/c it cannot play a low at all.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I am looking at putting in this weekend. It's simple, neat, and has great specs.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18324

Oh, and, I'm digging out my old Rockford Fosgate Punch 60 DSM amp to push it. :D

I put that in a Dodge ram 2500 mega cab...
a few things to note...
A)it NEEDS to go under the seat. it needs something right in front of the speaker or it wont play well. (ie, behind the seat in a pickup)
B) its a very boomy bass. its not really a SQ bass, but its there.
it wouldnt be the best thing to put in a tahoe IMO, its really a sub for a pickup..

mrbigles

Reaction score
Well.. with it angled, I was going to mount it right behind the rear seat.

As for the bass.. I'm just using it as presence, so, with only ~250 watts pushing it, it should be fine.

Luckily the shop where I am getting it, is going to let me try out a few options first, so, if I change plans, I'll let you know.

Thanks

Mtndewd

Reaction score
Black only? The interior of my hoe is tan.
Do they mount using the existing 4x10 holes?
Thanks.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, we can get different colors. black just seems to be a more common request. if i remember correctly, we did red ones for a burban with red interior.. black just goes with the odd interior colors GM decided to use in these trucks.

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
if you want me to match your interior color you must send a sample... there are many types of shades of colors these trucks came with.

trm64

Reaction score
i put two 12" MTX jackhammers in the back of my 4-door tahoe and i have to say that it knocks the walls off. i have one problem though: the only interior rattling i have is the rear a/c control trim ring. is there any quick solution for this?