Need opinions ASAP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WATahoe

Reaction score
Just bought an 02 Tahoe LT which has been lowered. As far as I can tell it does not have autoride shocks. I need to replace the rears really bad because they clunk so I took it to Les Schwab tire center to have them give me quote to replace them. They told me that the rear shocks alone are "dealer only" and will run me $519 A PIECE!!!!!!! They told me they are special heavy duty shocks. What am I to do? I have searched the internet and found that most aftermarket performance shocks are at the most $200 each. Should I go with the OE or aftermarket? Keep in mind, it is only the rear that is lowered for that level look so I really don't care if it stays lowered. Actually I would like to make it stock again. Thanks!!!

Eric

dmsmotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought an 02 Tahoe LT which has been lowered. As far as I can tell it does not have autoride shocks. I need to replace the rears really bad because they clunk so I took it to Les Schwab tire center to have them give me quote to replace them. They told me that the rear shocks alone are "dealer only" and will run me $519 A PIECE!!!!!!! They told me they are special heavy duty shocks. What am I to do? I have searched the internet and found that most aftermarket performance shocks are at the most $200 each. Should I go with the OE or aftermarket? Keep in mind, it is only the rear that is lowered for that level look so I really don't care if it stays lowered. Actually I would like to make it stock again. Thanks!!!

Eric

For your vehicle, GM makes 2 different shocks: ones that have air shocks, and ones that do not. The ones that do not are expensive because they are actually a Nivomat shock. Not much is discussed about these out there, however.To describe these shocks briefly, they are shocks that have mechanical abd hydraulic devices inside to assist you in keeping the rear at a consistant height.

One alternative you can try is to get a kit that has air shocks. this should be a hole lot less than what you were quoted. Sears I believe sells Gabriel Air shocks or ones similiar. You can check to see if Monroes have them as well

mike
dms

WATahoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! I will check them out to see what I can find. Is there a certain diameter or height that I am looking for, or just year and make fitment?
Eric

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah this problem is common, somebody in the actual 2000-2006 Tahoe/Yukon section is having this problem right now, ttry posting there and you'll get alot of help. Or just get this thread moved there.

WATahoe

Reaction score
Called up Chevy and ran the VIN, looks like I have the auto adjust shock system, which there are no direct aftermarket replacements for. Thanks for the help!

55belairtim

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Eric

hi
the 2000-2006 tahoes actually have 3 different shocks
1st is the light duty gas shock
2 most popular is the niovac shock vary expensive.
3 is the air auto ride.
you can change out to a drop shock in the rear but it will mostlikly drop your truck more. that niovac shock you have just removing it will drop your truck up to1 inch
i hope this helps.
thank you tim