mcguaghy 2/3 issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday i attempted to install the Mcgaughy 2/3 drop on the Tahoe and ran into some major issues.
My hoe is 4wd so i did everything according to instructions, but i could not get the upper control arm nut tight and there is a little play on the arm and the top of the spindle. The nut is recessed into the spindle, so i could only tighted the nut so far. Also the control arm bolt does not go all the way down through the spindle. There is about a 1/2 inch of the bolt exposed. Also the alignment was totally off and i was on the base which is 30 miles from any alignment shop, so i had to drive it with the front wheels pointing is oposite directions. I took it to Sears and had a alignment performed and i ended up needing two tires and a alignment. :mad:

The back install was very easy. :thumbsup:
Tip: You will need a complete tool set to perform the install. wrenches, sockets, mallet, and a lot of BEER!!!
Over all im happy with the look of the Tahoe, just a little concerned about the upper control arm. :confused2: I will post pictures soon.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks!
Installing spindles is harder than front coils!
Do makes ure everything is right though, don't want yor tire flying off on the highway!!
Plus when I do my install I plan on using front coils, and if tis too out of alighnment when i'm done I'll get it towed for lik a mile to the shop, cosy $51 instead of $400 for new tires!

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also explain how you did the rear, did you put back the isolators, shock extenders?

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks!
Installing spindles is harder than front coils!
Do makes ure everything is right though, don't want yor tire flying off on the highway!!
Plus when I do my install I plan on using front coils, and if tis too out of alighnment when i'm done I'll get it towed for lik a mile to the shop, cosy $51 instead of $400 for new tires!

I reused the rubber boots from the OEM springs for the new ones and i did use the shock extenders. The ride is exactly like OEM. The hardest part was installing the upper control arm. The back was easy. Just make sure you unhook the ABS line from the axle before dropping the rear.

If your using front coils, you shouldnt be that much off, but make sure your next stop is the alignment shop. All kinds of DTC's were going off on the dash( Service Traction, Stabilization). After the aligjnment it went away. If i had a 2wd tahoe, the instal would have been super easy. I wouldnt have to remove the CV axle and cut the UCA bolt so the CV axle could fit. I will never buy a 4WD vehicle again. Like i said the drive is wonderful and the stance is awesome. Just a little concerned about the UCA and also the CV-boot is leaking some grease from the install. I had to bend it some to insert it back through the spindle.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha thats why I'm happy I don't have a 4WD, too many problems like this and gas, especially since I don't need one. :)
The price we pay to ride lower!!!;)

jonnyenglish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riverst,
I'm bummed you've had issues with the install plus the added cost of 2 new tires. I used the Mcgaughys on my old Silverado SS had a shop do the install so I can't comment on the issues you are having with the UCA. Looks like you have it sorted, enjoy the new stance and the ride its all worth it in the end...
The price we pay to look good LOL
Jonathan

55belairtim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as the upper control arm is tightend down you should not have to worrie about it.
the toe in is way off on the spindles for the 07 for a reason, the 2000-2006 tahoes were so close on the alignment guys weret aligning the front ends, and then after 15000 miles or so calling and complaining that the tires wore out prematurely, that became a problem for them so when the 07s came out they made the steering arms off on purpose.

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This kit have given me nothing but trouble since i installed it. Test drove the truck today and it seemed to drive fine... until i turn all the way to the left and then to the right. A loud squeak is coming from the front and i feel a bump or bang when i turn. Im so stressed over the instal because so many have install this kit and when i became brave enough to do it, i run it to a world of Sh%t. My wife is furious over the truck. All i hear all day is " Its a brand new truck...beep, beep, beep!!!" The DTC is displaying "Service suspension system" and i smell rubber buring from the tires. So since i have a 4wd vehicle, i had to cut the bolt for the UCA. So to reverse the install, im gonna need 2 UCA, 2 tires and a alignment. Maybe 2 CV axles. I scared to take it to the dealer, but i might have to bite the bullet on this one. So as soon as i find out what its going to cost to have it back to OEM, ill start praying and start working in a sweat shop to pay it off. I feel like i really screwed up this time. Any advice from anyone, ill deeply appreciate it. Thanks. Riverst

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thats not good, best bet from the beginning was to let a shop do the fronts like the stealership!
Rear is easier, thank god Pedders front coils are easier install than spindles, 4WD makes everything HARDER!!!

55belairtim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi
riverst
please call me, im an authorized dealer and i also install this stuff we can better talk on the phone than emailing each other back and forth.
thank you tim
559-824-5289

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definetly give Tim a call...he know McGaughy's inside and out...it really is a straight forward install...I cannot imagine why you are still smelling rubber from the tires if you had an alignment and it was done to their specs....Also the clunking you may hear could be that upper ball joint not being tight...it is tough to get at, but since you have to cut it the only way to hold it and keep it from spinning is but making sure it is completely seated into the taper of the spindle..a simple ratched strap will work...I know on the one;s I have done the stud looks like it isn't all the way in but it is. I have also put one back to stock and did not have to purchase a new uca with balljoint the stud was still long enough and the threads were long enough to get the nut back and tighten no problem.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys it sounds like yall are proffessional doing lowering kits and I would lke to know how to lower the rear of my Tahoe step from step so I don't break anything?

55belairtim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how low,
fist step in rear kit is to disconnect abs sensor form top of the frame some guys dont do it and they pull the wires out of the connector. this could be why riverst's stabilitrack light is on, there were problems with the 07 tahoes, sub, etc, when they first came out, with the stabilitrack i have about 10 pages of notes on it from a gm tech, its a gm tsb.
next sep would be to remove bottom bolt on shocks (unless your doing a 5 inch rear kit) drop the rearend down and remove the two springs and replace them with the drop springs, then attach the shock extenders, then jack the rearend up reattach lower part of the shock to the shock ext and tighten everything back up and reattach the abs sensor and your done, if you need info on the rear 5 inch kit call me,
thank you tim

55belairtim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a 4wd truck only take me about 15 mins longer to do than a 2wd
thank you tim
559-824-5289