Adding a middle front seat to a Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbeall

Reaction score
Hi All,

We're looking for a Suburban/Yukon XL, and we really like the 9 passenger configuration. We came across a good deal on a 2003 Yukon XL, but it's an 8 passenger (two front, three middle, three rear).

We're wondering about just buying this one and replacing the center console in the front with a middle seat. I was curious if anybody here has tried that, or has thoughts on that? I found these after-market seats:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/centerconsoleseats/suvconsoleseats.htm

Think this would work?

-Josh

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I've got three accross seating, if your interior is dark gray, I'd be willing to trade you the seat for the center console, plus some cash.

jbeall

Reaction score
Well, it's more of a tan color

I've got three accross seating, if your interior is dark gray, I'd be willing to trade you the seat for the center console, plus some cash.

The interior is more of a tan color. It's leather. For our part we don't have to match the color exactly. If your center seat is cloth we might get a wet okole or something to protect it from spills. Unfortunately it's inevitable in our family that something will get spilled :)

If we go with this 2003 I'll post pictures of the interior console color so you can see. If you have picture of your center seat that would be great as well.

We haven't actually bought this vehicle yet, we're still in the consideration phase. We had wanted a 9 passenger, but this is affordable enough that we're considering getting this and just adding the 9th seat. JFYI it's a 2003 Yukon XL with 47k miles, and if we trade in our 1999 Taurus Stationwagon we can get this Yukon XL for $11,400. Seems more than fair based on what I've found on edmunds.com and kbb.com. Dealer threw in a 12 month GM warranty at no cost to us, too.

At any rate, unless we get bad feedback on the 2003 model year from here and elsewhere we've inquired, we're probably going to go with this Yukon XL and try to add the 9th seat.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Try to have the dealer drop the price. Around here, in the chicago area, I picked up a 2002 for 7200 after the dealer wanted 10999.

jbeall

Reaction score
When did you get your 2002, and what was the mileage?

Try to have the dealer drop the price. Around here, in the chicago area, I picked up a 2002 for 7200 after the dealer wanted 10999.

Thanks for the info; When did you get your 2002, and what was the mileage?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I picked it up Father's day weekend last year. The mileage was 91K. Not high at all considering how long these engines last.

jbeall

Reaction score
So towards closer to the peak of the high gas prices

I picked it up Father's day weekend last year. The mileage was 91K. Not high at all considering how long these engines last.

I wish I had bought then. The high gas prices really brought the price down on these big vehicles.

Are you still interested in a trade with a tan interior color on the console? I don't have pictures at the moment but I googled a bit and found this Suburban which is pretty close in appearance. Scroll down for the interior shot which shows the center console. The Yukon XL we're looking at may be slightly darker, actually, but this gives you an idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:317|65:12|39:1|240:1318

The info sheet we got from the dealer lists both of the following:

92I - DARK PEWTER INTERIOR TRIM
922 - PEWTER INTERIOR TRIM

So I'm not sure which it is. I actually wonder if that's a mistake, since I think of pewter as being a more gray/silver color, and this is definitely more of a tan color.

jbeall

Reaction score
So it sounds like the consensus is that adding that center seat should be no problem

At any rate, what it's sounding like is that people don't think adding the center seat will an issue, and that it should work no problem? Is that right?

I just have to find a seat, of course.