2005 Yukon XL with steering column replaced twice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbeall

Reaction score
Hi All,

We're thinking about buying a 2005 Yukon XL, and when I looked at the carfax report, I found this:

10/08/2004
Mileage: 1
Vehicle serviced

01/20/2006
Vehicle serviced
Steering shaft replaced
Rear door molding replaced

03/19/2007
Vehicle serviced
Drive belts replaced
Front shock absorber replaced
Steering shaft replaced

I believe 10/08/2004 marks the initial sale. The other records do not have mileages associated with them.

So, it have the steering shaft replaced twice (probably under warranty both times).

It's a one-owner vehicle according to carfax. The dealer is offering it as GM Certified Used, which means I would get a 12 month/12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on it... but I'm wondering if I should be worried about the fact that it's already needed to have it's steering column replaced twice? And the front shocks--shouldn't they last longer than two years? It looks like they were replaced at about two years.

There are no reports of accidents on the carfax report.

-Josh

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Be leary of CarFax. That goes for anybody looking into a CarFax report.http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/vehicle_history_reports/main.html In the past i have been to dealerships and I always look at the paint. On a lot of the vehicles I looked at, I noticed there were inperfections in the paint. The salesman and dealer said CarFax showed no signs of accidents. I knew better though.

The steering shaft took a couple times for GM to get it right. Is it perfect yet, no. They still have issues but, its not like the steering shaft will break off. They get noisy from what Ive read.

I say, if you are into this truck, and you and yours like it, then run with it.

jbeall

Reaction score
That explains the possible issues with the steering shaft, but you don't think I should also be concerned that they had to replace the front shocks and drive belts inside of two years?

We like the car, just don't want to buy a lemon :)

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I'd look at it as a blessing that the front shocks were replaced. The drive belts, IMHO, should be changed out every couple years or so.

If you are indeed serious about this truck, let the dealer know, as a stipulation of your pending purchase, you'd like to have the truck professionally inspected by an independent shop.

9 X's out of 10, the dealers will concede and let you do so. If this dealer does not, I would be a little concerned.

There are some things you can do yourself.
Don't wear nice clothes cause you'll be getting the knees dirty, unless you're lucky enough that the dealer will be nice enough to place the truck on a lift.

What you want to look for are clear signs of frame damage, accident repairs, etc.

This is not always true, so take it with a grain of salt. If there has been frame repairs, you will sometimes notice color changes in particulate rust on the frame. Usually a lighter part of the frame would indicate the frame had work done to it.

Check to be sure all doors, hood and hatch open and close easily.

Look for descrepancies in paint ie, bubbles, tones, waves, apparent dots in the clear, and color matching.

Take notice of the body gaps, making sure they relatively match the others.

Take notice of the front tires; were they rotated, need to be rotated or replaced, how are the front tires wearing: center, outer edge, inner edge.

There are many more checks and such, but I dont want to fear you out of this truck. IMHO, I think you will be ok. These trucks are tanks and will last.

jbeall

Reaction score
Let's say it has frame damage and was then repaired..

What you want to look for are clear signs of frame damage, accident repairs, etc.

Let's say the worst has happened, and it was in an accident and repaired.

Can you do sufficient repair work on a vehicle to repair frame damage? Or would you never want to touch a car that's had frame damage, no matter how good the repair job is?

-Josh

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Just me, but I would not own a vehicle with frame damage from an accident.

Now I could be wrong but I tend to think that unibody car as well as body on frame vehicles, can have frame distortion. I mean I think it would be highly possible due to a lot of potholes and misc road imperfections that the vehicle drives over any given amount of years.