Front shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysix

Reaction score
Have been planning a torsion key front lift on a 02 Tahoe with upgrade to Bilstein 5100 shocks (#F4-BE5-C153-H1) as well as new longer/stiffer coils in the rear + 5100 shocks there as well.

It seems to me that with the lift the old front shock (OEM equivalent Bilstein #F4-BE5-6500-H1 at 11" compressed) will max out and limit the suspension's downward travel when fully extended hence the longer travel shock upgrade.

However as I looked at the math it seems that I would have to lengthen the front shock mounting points so they are 3" further apart to compensate for the new shocks longer compressed length (14" -vs- 11") otherwise the shock would act as a bumpstop under full compression.

The extended length shock would still be 3 3/8" below where the OEM shocks would max out at full extension so that should suffice for the 2.75" key lift without them becoming limiting 'straps'.

Is this right? What is the best way to relocate the shock mounts to get a fully compressed length of 14"? Relocate the lower end of the shock to the underside of the control arm or relocate the top with a bracket of some sort? Or a combination of both that adds up to 3" greater spacing at full compression?

Last edited: