Starter gets stcuk on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lizard1

Reaction score
Well, I've never had this issue before. Turn the key and starter kicks on to shortly start the engine. Well, recently, about 1 out of every 4 times, you turn the key and the starter kicks on and just keeps doing it's thing like you were holding the key in the starting posision. However, if you release the key back off of the started position, the starter stays cranking instead of stopping. You have to remove the key completely back to swuare 1 to turn the starter off. Interestingly, when the starter is doing it's own thing uncontrollable, it will never start the engine.

Right now it's more of an annoyance but I don't know if it's doing damage to the starter leading for itto go bad a inconvenient time. Any thoughts?

Gatorbait

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this happen? Mine is having the same/similar issue. I turn the key to start it and it just keeps spinning. Sometimes it starts after a couple seconds, others it doesn't start at all. It is going back to the dealership this week so just curious. If I turn the key to run for a few seconds and let the fuel pump prime up it doesn't happen as often. It especially does it when I park downhill with the front of the car lower than the rear.

Auburn

Reaction score
I have this issue as well. I went by the dealership and they told me that there are 2 magnets in the starter that are out of sync and that the starter tries to get the magnets in sync. They told me not to worry about it, but when I told my husband what the dealer said he said it didn't make sense.

I have 52k miles on my 07 ltz tahoe so I am worried that it is the starter/alternator. We have had the battery tested and it is fine.

I guess the next time I go in for an oil change I will have them check it out again.