96 Tahoe transmission or other?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wgjhsaft

Reaction score
I posted only a week or so ago about a 96 Tahoe I picked up for a very reasonable price. I also mentioned it seemed to shift hard between 1st and 2nd gears. The response form most was to change the tranny fluid and filter.

Well after that post I was away for about a week and a half on business. I returned and decided to take my new to me Tahoe for a spin. I drove about 100 miles down to visit a buddy and started my way back. The thing was running great until halfway home on the return trip.

I had the cruise set at 70-75 MPH and suddenly I saw the tach start to roam between 2200 RPM and then 3000 RPM. Hmmmm.

Shortly after the check engine soon light came on. Great. I pulled over at a gas station and let it run for a while to maybe cool down the tranny. I started off again and it stayed in 1st for a long time and then downshifted. I was close to home so I kept going stopping every so often to let the vehicle cool down. At no point did the engine get abnormally hot. Tranny fluid levels appeared normal but slightly darker than normal and maybe a little foamy.

Checked the tranny fluid this morning and it appeared the levels were normal. Drove it to the local Advance Auto Parts and noticed 2nd gear was basically gone along with OD. The code that showed up on their OBD II reader was a bad EGR valve and Throttle position sensor. I took off the EGR valve and cleaned it out; I did nothing to the TPS. Went back up to Advanced (maybe 1 mile) and it operated the same; no 2nd gear and no OD.

Advanced cleared the codes and they have not come back in my short drive home. My question is this: Should I replace the EGR valve and TPS or focus on the tranny? I will be changing the fluid and the filter tomorrow morning and doing a full inspection of everything I can. I just hope I'm not looking at a new tranny or rebuild since I've only owned it for less than a month!

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have reverse? This is my biggest fear. I just bought a 97 Tahoe yesterday, and I don't want to experience tranny problems again. I used to own a 97 Silverado K1500. Six months after I bought it the tranny went out. 4L60E. If I remember correctly, it lost 2nd, overdrive, and reverse. I had to replace it. $2300. I hope that isn't your problem, but it doesn't sound good for you. Good luck. And I would probably focus on the transmission problem first. That is what will strand you.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said in the last post, my tranny is on the last legs, and the shop I take it to said that if it starts doing what your is that the tranny would need to be replaced or rebuilt, good luck, sorry about the tranny.