1999 Tahoe Lift Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwilliams192

Reaction score
So first off Im new to lifting but Ive done a lot of reading on this forum for information. Ill start off by saying i have a 1999 OBS tahoe 4door 4wd, with 100,000miles on it. I was looking at a 6'' lift and was gonna go with either the pro comp or the Dick cepek.

Now I read if you lift the truck you need to regear. My question is, if i dont regear, how bad is it really for the truck/ transmission, cause i did just have the tranny rebuilt about a week ago. and about how much would it cost to regear both the front and rear?

Another question is i read somewhere that if i put a 6'' lift, i would need to replace the front drive shaft, is that true?

Also i was wondering, if i were to put a 4'' lift on it,would it still be as neccessary to regear?

Thanks for any help in advance, i was unable to find definite answers. and maybe when i get home and get a chance ill post a pic of my truck.

edit: heres a pic of my truck...

Attachments

• Tahoe 010.jpg
    Tahoe 010.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't regear after a Superlift kit. Speedo may be off a bit, but I'm not worried if that is all the problems there are.

I have bee going thru u-joints on an annual basis.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put them in myself, so all I'm out is my time plus parts. I'll break two rears a year, so $75 or so.

rwilliams192

Reaction score
oh i see. how are they breaking, and why? and another question, have you noticed anything with the drum brakes, like wearing out faster or anything or did you upgrade to disc?

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift puts the pinion angle incorrectly. It puts the rear U-joints in a bind. The only real solution Superlift has come up with is to change to a 2 piece rear drive shaft with a carrier.

No problem with the rear drums at 95xxx miles.

rwilliams192

Reaction score
alright, thanks for the help. just trying to figure out what to expect when i lift the truck lol. Im hoping i can do it by the end of summer if i can get the money together for the lift, wheels and tires.

97 2door tahoe

Reaction score
wut size tires are you gonna be running, that should be a big thought also. bigger the tire, the more you need to regear

rwilliams192

Reaction score
i plan on running 35s. I looked at a chart online in regards to gearing and was looking at 4.88, or maybe 4.57 ( i believe its 4.57 could be wrong)

evans99hoe

Reaction score
Go with the dick cepek lift.. I know alot of guys who are real happy with it and dont worry bout regearing it

Blackbeauty99

Reaction score
I got a 99 2-door tahoe that as a 4.5 superlift running 35x12.50x18 and i haven't regeared or anything, im sitting at 176,xxx miles and my tranny is holding just fine for the past 3 years.

But becareful bc i had a problem after the lift was installed i raised my tor-bars to high which causes a strain on the front axles and after a little bit of driving the boots on the axle will open up, but lowering it down like a half inch fixed that :]

Andrew99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im new to this site, but I have a 99 Tahoe with a 6 inch lift. Didn't have to change to gears, though I think I need to. I have a feeling I lost freeway power.

Attachments

• 3kd3m33lf5O35Z05U4b8qed9804fdc6d81e27.jpg
    3kd3m33lf5O35Z05U4b8qed9804fdc6d81e27.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 5

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading all the posts that people are saying if you lift then you need to regear. Wrong. If you change your tire size then you might have to regear depending on how much you change the tire size. If you go from 245 to 285 ie 31" to 33" then you might have to re-gear. From 31" to 35" then yes you need to re-gear. To keep the speedo and engine rpm correct. The front driveshafts that are in the IFS trucks need a driveshaft with a CV joint in it. The stock front driveshaft is like the rear driveshaft. That's why the lift companies say you need a new front driveshaft when you lift the IFS trucks. Not sure if all IFS have the straight driveshaft but the obs Tahoes and 88-98 pick-ups do. If you look at a K5 Blazer front driveshaft you will see what I am talking about when I say CV driveshaft.