Sirius-XM converter... SIRGM1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeFester

Reaction score
Hey all...

I just got a 2008 black LTZ, and am going to get the sirius converter for the XM stock

has anyone done this? how does it work? any issues?

DeFester

Reaction score
yeah, i went down to Best Buy and the unit is not compatible with 07's+

so i grabbed a seperate sirius unit and had them install, so now i have both Sirius and XM :Chevy:

p26963

Reaction score
Well the good news finally came this week...

"On the car front, Sirius is offering new tuners that can convert cars offering XM service to Sirius service. A GM version, model SIR-GM3A can swap with an XM tuner to deliver Sirius to GM cars and control and display Sirius programming on the GM radio at a suggested $149. New tuners will also ship for Honda and Toyota models and these offer the new feature of also working with certain Sirius plug and play (now called Dock & Play) tuners."

If you take a real good look at the picture here (http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/Siri...WrapUp/2388624), it states "Compatible with select 2003 and up GM vehicles that include factory satellite radio tuners, supports class 2 and GM LAN vehicles."

Now if I could only find out when it will be available and how to get it. Please let me know if you find out.

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anymore news on this? is one available and if so, does it actually work?

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think they make one for the new body style yet i checked around and nobody knows nothing just wait fot the merger

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help me out here. Why would you go with Sirius instead of XM? Is it a question of content or a question of sound quality? Some XM stations sound pretty lousy to me due to the CODEC they use, yet others are broadcast in a higher bit-rate and sound excellent. No NFL on XM, no Howard Stern on XM. Somebody enlighten me! :skep:

raiderrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had xm and i have sirius i like the stern show bubba the love sponge show the nfl channels and the music cahnnels xm doe not have real time people deejaying there music sirius does

06Evolved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had both XM and Sirius, but I prefer Sirius. Does anyone know when the "merger" will occur?

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had both XM and Sirius, but I prefer Sirius. Does anyone know when the "merger" will occur?

my question too, I can't find a date anywhere.

To me, listening to XM is like listening to an ipod on shuffle. Sirius has real personality.

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the XM / Sirius Merger happens (supposedly by the end of the year) that there will be a plan where we will be able to "pick and choose" what XM / Sirius channels (best of both worlds!?!?). I just spoke to XM today and was told this.

I would wait and see if this is true before plunking down some $$ for another black box in the truck.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help me out here. Why would you go with Sirius instead of XM? Is it a question of content or a question of sound quality? Some XM stations sound pretty lousy to me due to the CODEC they use, yet others are broadcast in a higher bit-rate and sound excellent. No NFL on XM, no Howard Stern on XM. Somebody enlighten me! :skep:

All I know is I'm very interested in this converter because prior to buying the Tahoe, I had SIRIUS in both my wife's Nissan Pathfinder (traded in) and my MAX. So now, I have two separate SIRIUS tuners that I'm paying for, PLUS the new XM subscription I had to get w/ the Tahoe... For me, it's a waste of money because I have the other SIRIUS tuner that use to be in my wife's Pathfinder in the house now (boom-box--rarely used), when I could have simply transferred the service on that tuner over to the new tuner in the Tahoe (if it was SIRIUS ready). So, in my case, it would save me money. Plus, I'm a little salty w/ XM because XM advertises different channels on AOL than is actually on their satellite feed when you sign up. I say this because I listen to "The Flow" on AOL XM, but after inquiring XM about the station not being available in my Tahoe, they simply stated that the channel line-up isn't the same...well, why the heck not??? :cuss: Why would you market a product or service via another medium, have someone like what they hear, just to have them find that it's not available to them (or, in her words, "not the same") when they buy the actual product/service?!! That's just plain dumb to me! :eek: Just don't get it!!! :mad:

See, you done got me started... :cuss: :mad2: :cryin:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sirius does look pretty cool. I was at the Dodge dealership the other day getting my Mobil-1 change in my daily driver, and they had a 2008 Caravan sitting there for folks to look at while they wait (service center is separate from main dealership property). I got in the vehicle, and it had Sirius (couldn't play with it because it had no signal there in the garage), but from looking at the brochure I learned that they now do video broadcasts (for kids stuff) of select shows from three different kids networks. So they're actually expanding into other areas whereas XM seems pretty stagnant at best. In fact, one of my favorite XM stations was pulled from the air last year (online only now), so I understand your irritation with that.

I think satellite radio is really cool, but when they started playing ads on XM, it really made me mad. I've listened since early 2004, and now I won't listen to any station with ads on XM, a service that I pay handsomely for. Does Sirius have commercials on any of their channels? I don't care about NFL or Stern on satellite radio, so that content is irrelevant to me.

I currently have 4 XM tuners: 1 in each of our 2 vehicles, one in a home stereo system at the house, and one in a mobile/boombox setup for my mother-in-law who loves the 40s / 50s / 60s stations.

Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sirius only has commercials on their talk and news channels, because for the syndicated stuff, they have to fill that time anyways, and for their own prgramming, the hosts can't go 2-3 hours without a break.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you confirmed the ads on the talkshows and news, Mike. I know that the music stations I listen to on SIRIUS have no commercials @ all. Just interviews w/ artists, commentary every once in awhile and maybe some plain "talking" on subject.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sirius sounds pretty appealing so far. How's the audio quality? Some stations are really "grungy" on XM due to the crappy CODEC they use (again, on some of their channels it sounds fantastic)... How's Sirius - does it also vary by channel?

goldenrod49

Reaction score
I also just got an 08 tahoe. Does anyone know if the new conversion product that is being talked about works with the factory navidation system. I figure I have 3 months (free XM) to hope for the merger option or I will have to install another car kit for my stiletto if this new thing doesn't work. BTW, after 2 weeks of XM it's ok (NHL), but Sirius is clearly superior in content offerings (NFL, Stern), signal loss (1-2 sec.) in same everyday areas where my Lincoln never went out and just general interaction