removing McGauhies 2/3 drop kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fitzo1969

Reaction score
I have a 2007 4wd LTZ Hoe Im trading in soon (new Hoe is on its way) and would like to remove the McGauhies drop kit. If you remember when installing the drop spindle on a 4wd Hoe you have to cut off the remaining bit of the ball joint stud to clear axle. When reinstalling the factory spindle do you have to replace upper ball joint? Or is there enough of the stud left to get it to bolt back up without a problem? Is the ball joint pressed in? Can you buy it separate or do I have to buy an upper control arm with the ball joint on it?
Thanks for any help.

fitzo1969

Reaction score
Just thought I would update post concerning removal of McG's spindle.
The question was about the upper bj stud length and wether or not you can reuse bj after spindle change out to factory spindle. I spoke with Tim @ supsension on line and he thought the McG's bj nut would work just fine. I did pick up 2 new factory bj nuts just to try. The issue with the factory nuts is that they come with a washer/spacer built into the nut, so when you try to bolt up ball joint you end up with the nut not making complete contact with the stud - the stud will not protrude through the nut. I didnt want to trust that so I went with the old McG's supplied nut and used loctite on studs. I also found that I needed to clean off bj stud with emory cloth to make sure it would seat all the way through top of spindle. Alignment issues were the same as install, I marked the toe-in measuring front and rear of a spot on tire /side to side and also measured tie rod length from rack to tie rod stud location. You have to adjust the toe-in or you just cant drive without shaving off your tires. I also had front end tech recheck tightness of ball joint nuts while it was on the rack.
All seemed to go well. Old Hoe is gone - didnt last long on the lot with only 30,000 miles, loaded and in like new condition.
On the new LTZ I just installed DJM 2" drop rear coils along with bending air rods. Rear height went from factory 39" (from floor to fender edge dead center on wheel) to 36".
Front stayed the same @35 3/4", ride seems ok at this point & truck rides level. The DJM springs are a little different than factory springs, height is about the same @ 16.5" but the width is different @ 6.5" vs 5.5" factory's. Just hope there are no issues with springs moving and rubbing on frame spring pocket.
Now just looking for wheels/tires, thinking about 22" Giovanna Canelli's.

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed mine too. The kit is NOT made correctly for the LTZ(4WD) hoes. Major problems and alot of reowork money spent. I did the same thing you did and put the kits nut on the cut ball joint.